Prologue

Prologue

~Joey's POV~

Tired. Sleepy. Exhausted.

The three words I keep having to use as my excuse to stay in bed all day. But they're true, and that's the hardest part. I don't want to admit that I'm suffering. But I am, and no one realises it.

It's 4:37pm. And I've been in bed all day. All week in fact. I just can't get up. It hurts to move.

Sawyer comes to check in on me all the time. But lately he's starting to give up hope that I'll ever actually move. Maybe I'll just die here? Without actually sharing my true feelings to anyone? What a sad life I would have lead.

"Joey?" Sawyer says in a hushed voice as he taps on my bedroom door. I don't respond. Don't need to. He'll come in anyway. With food. And sit at the bottom of my bed.

Moments later, he appears in the door frame. A plate of toast in hand. It's the same routine every time he comes in here. I think it'll be the lack of change that kills me before anything else does.

I try to sit up, but soon feel that tightness strangling around my throat, and the heavy, weighty feeling take over my chest. My hand flies to my neck as I fall back against the mattress. The moment I'm back down, I gasp deeply, and painfully. As if I hadn't had the chance to for hours.

"You okay, man?" Sawyer asks, a horrifying look on his face. He sits on the end of my bed, like always, and starts rubbing my back gently. I winced a little at his touch. It ached a little.

I rolled onto my side, hiding away my tears. I'm gonna die here. I just know it. I don't want to tell Sawyer how I'm feeling. He'll make me see a doctor or something. I'd rather just die here.

I feel him lift the back of my shirt up. The cold air attacks me instantly. The feeling of a finger gently slide down my back makes me feel slightly comforted, but I knew what he was looking at.

I sigh deeply, hoping my time will soon be up. A life like this isn't worth living. But perhaps, before I go, I ought to tell Shane how I feel.

The flash of Sawyer's camera indicates to me that he's taken a photo. I was hoping no one would find out about that. Ever.