Chapter 18

Chapter 18

~Sawyer's POV~

I arrived at the station just in time. The rest of the guys were filing into the engine.

"Hartman! Get in!" One of the guys yelled. I pulled on my protective jacket and climbed in, just before we sped off.

"Alright ladies" Deputy Small said to us all, "just a car crash. Drivers gotten stuck and it's our job to cut him out. Nice and easy"

We sped off to rescue the guy. My mind was racing with thoughts of Joey. It'll absolutely crush Shane to lose him. But, maybe getting married and actually having sex will make him better? I don't know. It's all a tricky situation to be in really. Gosh I hope it all works out. But the only way Joey can get better, is if someone else dies. Then he gets some lungs.

"Sup with you Hartman?" Deputy Small asked me.

"Just thinking about my buddy. He doesn't have long left" I sighed. I don't usually talk about him with these guys. Doesn't feel right to.

"Will you carry on working here if he goes?" One of the guys, Joshua, asked me. He started about the time I did. He was a good guy.

"I don't know" I said honestly.

We pulled up at the accident site, and fuck it was a mess. There was four cars all smashed up together. The ambulance was already here sorting out people and the police were here trying to figure out what happened.

"Hartman!" Small shouted. "Get cutting! It's the red one!"

I got the equipment, assisted by Josh, and we got ready to do a rescue.

The thing with car crashes like this, it always gets messy and bloody. Gotta have a strong stomach for some of these sights.

We started cutting into it, calling to see if the guy inside would answer. There wasn't a reply though, so we had to work quicker.

When we eventually got the door off, the sight was horrific. The guy was covered in blood. He was all mashed up practically. There was a bone sticking out of his stomach, and his back was all mashed in and awful.

I was about to puke. The guy was dead. That much was obvious. But his eyes were still open. And looking straight at me. I backed up, about to scream. I couldn't cope with this. I just couldn't.

He was dead...

Shane was dead...