Chapter Twenty

(Mabel's POV)

"Don't you think we should go out and look for Dipper?" I asked. Both Stan and Ford hadn't talked much since what happened not to long ago. Ford's expressions kept going from anger to guilt. He didn't know whether to be mad at himself for all of this or feel guilty for what he said to Dipper. I know this because he would mumble stuff every once in awhile.

"No." Ford responded.

"Ford, he's still just a kid." Stan pleaded.

"I have no doubt Bill will be there protecting him. If Dipper is going to come back here; he's going to have to make that decision himself." Ford answered curtly. However, that didn't sit with me. Stan had no choice but to stay because Ford would notice if he left, but I could sneak away. We gave each other a subtle nod. I took a walkie-talkie with me in case I ran into trouble; saying some parts of this forest lacked cell reception.

I took off into the forest to look for my brother. How could we allow things to get so messed up like this? We let our guard down, and this is what happened. It's as though our family is being ripped apart! To my surprise I didn't have to walk far before I saw Dipper. He was walking back to the Shack, alone.

"Dipper!" I shouted happily. I ran and hugged him; he didn't return the hug. He sniffled and I could tell he had been crying.

"I'm sorry, about everything. I should talk to Ford." He mumbled into my shoulder. I pushed him away so I could look at him. His red puffy eyes made it clear that he had been crying; probably for a while.

"Yeah, I bet Ford has a lot to say to you." I grumbled. "Most importantly, sorry."

"He doesn't need to say sorry. I should have warned him before. We should have came up with a plan to get rid of Bill before."

"As though that makes it okay for him to say what he said." I protested. Dipper just walked around me with his head bowed.

"I'm sorry I caused all of this."

"Dipper, you don't have to say sorry. I know you didn't mean for any of this." I offered for comfort.

"What do you think Bill will do? I chose my family over him. He's not going to like that." I hear Dipper mumble to himself. There was nothing I could say. What will Bill do? He's too powerful for us to take care of ourselves, and with Dipper having part of Bill's soul there is no way we can go through with Ford's original plan. That would cast Dipper out of this dimension as well.

(Dipper's POV)

I felt hollow inside even though I knew this was the right decision. How could I even consider going with Bill to be a good idea? Though it hurt to see him like that. I know he feels betrayed because I can feel his emotions.

~ Flashback ~

"Heya Pine Tree, you ready to come with me?" Bill showed up an hour after he left me alone. I still didn't know what to say, but I would need to choose sooner or later.

"I'm not going with you." I told him. Bill laughed harshly.

"Are you sure about that?" His voice strained, as though he was hoping I was messing with him but could probably tell I wasn't.

"Yes." I said firmly. Trying to hide my indecision. "If I had to make a choice between you and family, it would be family every time." I said it before I realized how full of crap that statement was, but I needed to stand firm or else Bill would try to persuade me, and that's his specialty. I steeled my emotions and convinced myself this was the right decision. As long as I can convince myself this is the right decision Bill won't be able to sense I'm lying. Anyways, what good would come from me going with him. I need to help Ford, and it isn't like I could just leave Mabel or Stan or Soos or anyone else either.