Chapter 21

The man frowned keeping low to the ground as he ran along the top of the wall. He was upon the shifter so quickly that the guard was on the ground before he could even shout in surprise. The knife jabbed into the throat and the man was left dead with his eyes open in shock as he was thrown off the side.

Nomas back cracked loudly as he stood up again smiling back at the two walking up behind him. "Come on, Nomas has to be somewhere here by now." He said before looking over the edge of the wall and at the lack of light across the entire city.

Jumping quickly on top the tile roof he made a few quiet clinks as he began to walk across it. Following behind Renale and Flynn frowned pulling their cloaks over their heads.

Nomas knew this city like the back of his hand, and that meant all they had to do was keep up. But with the city this dark, there was no way for them to see if there was anything on below them.

Moving swiftly they approached the party leaping from rooftop to rooftop with little trouble. Leaning on the edge Nomas squatted down with his tail moving behind him.

"What's going on?" Flynn asked looking at it for a long time seeing the people trying to crowd into the building and through a high window, people dancing in a large ballroom.

"Masquerade," Nomas answered with a frown as he watched the people moving below them, his ears darting around the area looking for minute details. "We need to get in there. If Nomas is in the city he is in there."

Renale nodded pulling a small book from under her cloak, "I can whip something up. Perhaps invisibility." She offered before Nomas shook his head pointing to a nearby balcony.

"I'm going in alone," Nomas said with a growl. "It'll be easier for me. You two stay put. If things get loud..."

"Backup plan," Flynn said with a smile. "Got it." Nodding slightly Nomas stood rolling a shoulder a few times. Nomas let a sigh, this was it, this was what he had been working so hard for.

Pulling the two halves of his mask out he looked at Renale. "I just need you to do one thing for me." He said offering it to her. She took a long moment looking at the mask.

"Why?" She asked with a frown.

"Because I was branded a traitor and an exile. Nothing says resistance like fixing something they broke out of spite."

Renale smiled waving a hand over it. Rather than just fixing it up with a phantom needle weaved its way along the length of the fracture and sewed it together with a long thread of gold. "Enjoy." She said quickly.

He smiled pulling it onto his face with only his blue eyes visible through it. "Yeah, I will," Nomas said before taking a few steps back, breaking into a full sprint at the edge of the building he easily sailed over the road and onto the balcony.

Rolling as he landed Nomas popped up with a frown. The knife came out quickly as he stood against the wall. He hadn't seen anyone before his jump but his landing could have alerted someone to his presence. Letting out a slow breath he stepped out, no one reacted to him. The music was still playing loudly below him and he hugged the wall. If anyone was in the bedrooms he would rather not have to deal with them.

He walked briskly down the empty hall. Curving down the hall he saw nothing more than a single guard at the end. They were standing against the wall with a large leaf of some kind they were eating while half-heartedly watching the steps to avoid guests walking up.

Nomas licked his lip with a frown. Turning against the wall he sighed pondering his options. Muttering curses to himself Nomas knew he had to press on. The knife left his hand meant to disable the man in the throat.