Chapter 3

The man was held to the wall in his cell. The only light in his prison was a single torch flickering and spreading shadows around just outside of the bars meant to hold him in. His clothes were in tatters and his face covered in scars from both new and long forgotten wounds. Atop his head were the signature ears of a fox that, while normally a pristine white, were covered in mud and moved suddenly hearing the movement further down the corridor. His tail sunk deep into the mud he was left to sit in. The only footing anyone could get in these cells was a bale of hay dropping into the area the be used as a bed.

The other man in the room was standing high over the man with a smile shining from behind the pewter mask forged out to look like the face of a snake. He wielded the blade with the skill of a master as he held it against Nomas' shoulder. "Oh, how far the mighty have fallen." He taunted with a smile. "Two years ago you were laughing it up with the council and now..." The blade dug a slow, deep cut across the prisoner's chest. A yell of pain rang out that seemed almost inhuman in both sound and volume. The torturer laughed to himself looking just outside the cell. He wore dark blue robes showing he was in high standing in the city. And from behind his mask the piercing green eyes to stare down at the prisoner.

"Heal him," He commanded towards the young woman running up to aid her master. She held out a hand with a single large emerald planted on her ring glowed brightly for a moment. She let a long winded word as the fresh wound was already healing on Nomas.

The man though still looked down at the ground. "I've got nothing to say to men like you." He said looking up with a snide smile, few things about this bothered him, mostly because they were looking for the wrong person trying to hold him down. "My work was in motion long before the council could even try and stop me. I will not give up the way to stop it, or him."

The masked man shook his head as the blade was suddenly thrust against Nomas' neck. "You know the laws about procreation outside of the species. All you need to do for us is give up a name. A location. A description." He said coming close. Nomas would normally have felt the heat coming off a person, but he couldn't feel anything coming from the man. Cold blooded, he should have known after all this time. "Give that to us. And we let you free. Is it really that hard?" He asked with a dark smile.

Nomas spat hard into the man's face making him recoil and rub off his mask. "I am not giving you a damned thing." He said with a deep growl emanating deep in his throat. "Tell you what," he said leaning towards the man. "Cut my chains and we'll fight over the answer," he demanded shaking the pair of copper cuffs wrapped around his wrist. They were dangerous to most men like him but he was tougher than most, rather than killing him they just weakened him. He was nothing more than human now.

"Sorry, but I'm not about to let you free. I've got too much left to learn from you. And your... talents," the man said as he dug the edge of the blade into Nomas' ear. It left a large hole deep in the center of it leaving blood staining the white fur as it moved down the side of his face. Nomas, though, sat just staring at the man with hate filled eyes.

The woman lifted a hand to cast another spell but the man motioned her down. "Leave this one," he said with a scowl. "I want to let him remember this, a gift from me to him." He growled.

"As you wish..." She said lowering her hand.

The man smirked gripping a hand to his cell. "Let him rot." He said with a dark smile. "We'll burn down Adorea if that's what it takes. Let the troops know we're marching." He said turning on a heel.

Nomas growled slamming himself hard against the cell so he was face to face with the masked man. "You touch anyone there and I will make you feel every death you cause," Nomas said calmly looking into the man's dark eyes. "You hurt anyone there and I will tear off limbs just to make you suffer." He said with a deathly serious done. "I stake my life on it." He said staring at him with his teeth barred.