Chapter 14

Nomas looked at the side of the building and taking note of the bits of wood gouged out of the length of it. He had only seen Selene using her rapier and the cuts like this couldn't be done by her blade. Nomas took a deep breath staring at it for a long time wondering if Constantine himself was a swordsman.

Selene had implored that he sleep but the sun was dipping in the sky and the evening light he was easy on his eyes so he took the time he could to explore his surroundings. The house they lived in was older, probably older than anyone living in it. Nomas could see stains across the whole surface and the marks of use and change over the years.

He blinked a few times before rubbing his eyes. It was awkward was he could figure out with his senses heightened like this and he was more worried about his new found abilities than anything else. He could feel everything, see everything, and it was giving him a splitting headache.

He sighed leaning against the side of the building trying to let his mind clear. But even as he sat motionlessly he could hear it all. The wind floating through the field and several birds nearby. Gritting his teeth he sighed in anger. How was he meant to sleep when he couldn't even sit quietly with the noise around him.

Nomas heard her heartbeat before she even came around the corner. "I'm not tired." He lied quickly as Selene approached with a pair of cups in her hands.

"Okay." She said looking rather confused why he stated it like that for no apparent reason. "I just thought you might like something to drink." She said offering him one of the cups. He nodded taking it and sighing. She frowned cocking her head as she leaned against the side of the building. "Is there something wrong?"

He nodded unsure how to answer her, there was a lot going on and he wasn't able to properly pinpoint what was causing the most problem. "How do you do it?" Nomas asked with a frown. "There is so much input, so much..." He grunted before slamming a fist into the side of the building, "I just can't take it." He said pulling it back and looking at the large red mark on his hand starting to fade. "I can't fight like this, I can barely stand like this."

She frowned before sliding down the wall so she was sitting beside him. "I know what you mean," Selene said offering a smile. "There is too much going on and it is hard to process it all.  But there's more." She said looking out to the field and taking a sip of her drink.

"My dad..." He said looking down at the cup as he watched the leaves in the bottom swirling slowly. "I don't know what I am supposed to be doing. Where I'm supposed to be going, and all I know is your father is where I'm supposed to be at." He said still watching the drink moving. "This training, it's supposed to be helping me, but all it has done is sent me back a lot. I can't hold a sword, I can't fight, I can barely sit in the sun without feeling like I'm going blind."

Selene nodded slowly before taking another drink. "I don't know what to tell you." She admitted. "I don't know much about having the dulled senses of a human." She added quickly before drinking again.

Nomas frowned tapping the side of his drink before he sighed. "How am I meant to save him when I can't do anything?"

The other shifter shook her head, "Not all men are meant to carry a sword into battle, some leaders are just meant to lead troops from afar." She said with a shrug.

"I am not a commander," He said quickly. "I carried a sword since I could and have always been meant to fight,"

Selene shook her head with a frown. "I don't know what to say." She said again. "I have trained with the rapier since I could stand, "But I was able to shift before that. I had at least a year or two to adapt to the change."

"But I don't have a year. I have maybe a few days. Two weeks if we feel confident." Nomas said before looking at the drink a few more seconds before taking a tentative sip. Nomas couldn't describe the taste, somewhat bitter, yet somewhat sweet. "What is this?" Nomas asked looking to Selene up turning her drink and watching the still wet leaves hit the ground.