Chapter 18

Adams POV

I wake up to the sound of the door closing. I look up from under the blankets, and see Max isn't there.

"That girl..." I think, getting up to follow him. I slip in a pair of jeans and a tee-shirt, then out the door.

Everyone was asleep, so I quietly opened and closed the door. Tip-toeing across the room, I hear a friendly greeting outside of the apartment.

"What are they doing?" I hear from behind me. I turn around in shock, only to see Tim standing there.

"Oh, hey. Max went to see someone, but I don't know who. I'm trying to go over there." I say quietly, continuing my walk to the door. Tim follows me, trying to keep quiet.

"Oh, that girl? They're just friends." He chuckles.

"So why does he have to sneak out to add her?" I growl.

"True. I don't know, but good luck. I'm gonna go to bed. Night!" He says, walking off to his room. Again, I'm alone in the dark room, creeping toward the door.

I hear laughter outside, then the other door closing. I hurry out the door, putting my ear to hers. I hear them laughing, and the tv turns on. I almost open the door, but Red and Barney come behind me.

"We have to go, right now." Red says, rushed. I see that he has my bag, and then he hands it to me. He starts to push me down the hallway, but I stop him.

"What's the rush?" I ask him.

"Chaos at the office. I'll explain later." He says, continuing to push me.

"I told Tim, he'll tell Max. Come on, let's go." He says, pushing me through the door.

A short while later we're in the airport, about to get on a plane. I want to call Max, but would he be mad? I don't get to see him again for a long, long time.

What could possibly be so wrong that I had to leave Max?