21

•Hunter•

I was laying down on my bed watching snapchat stories. I get on mayas and see a picture of her and a video of us walking out the school.

She was on my back after football practice, and was talking about how I smelled. The next one was of jaxon doing pull ups the caption she had made me laugh.

I got a text from a random number that asked if I was okay, then another and another. I was going to reply to one before my door was slammed open and Owen came in

He had tousled hair and his brows were furrowed. He looked at me with sympathy in his eyes and a mixture of sadness.

"Dude everyone keeps texting me asking if I'm okay or if she's okay, who's she?"

He goes to my tv and turns it on and clicks to the news. A Starbucks comes on with all the windows broken and people sitting outside and talking to cops

"At five o'clock this afternoon, a gunmen arrived at this Starbucks and begin to shoot, sources say that he may have been targeting a certain person"

A girl with brown hair and a tear streaked face comes into the camera" we were all fine, nothing seemed wrong in till everyone hears a girl scream someone's name"

"Can you explain what she did after calling the persons name"

"She jumped across the table and wrapped her arms around his head and put her back towards the window..... she saved his life"

"We were told this young lady saved her brother from begin shot by the gunman"

They broadcaster asks them to show a picture of the young hero.

"She truly is a beautiful young girl, if she hadn't screamed ahead of time I think others would have been shot and injured or worst dead"

They show the picture and I immediately jump out of the bed.

The picture they show is the one I took the day we went to jimmys after the football game

The picture they show is the one I took the day we went to jimmys after the football game. I look to Owen and begin panting. I run my hand through my hair over and over again trying to make sense out of this.

" Maya coretta, a seventeen year old student that attends tides high school, became a hero today. Ms. Coretta jumped in front of a bullet for her older brother jaxon Coretta. Maya was shot in her upper back, near her heart. We do not have further information on what is happening,  as of right now the mother of Maya Coretta is requesting that all reporters stay away from the Johnson tides hospital and let the family handle things from here in peace......"

The reporter keeps talking but I tune it out. I look at the tv as they keep showing different photos and videos of Maya laughing, and one long video of jax running with her in his arms

"Hunter" Owen whispers " Hunter, man are you okay?"

I can't lose her. She was going to be my future. She's my best friend. She makes me happen when I'm down. She's Maya. I can't lose Maya.

I can't

I start pushing things off my dresser and throwing things at the wall. I start shouting while still throwing things around

I can hear lily crying in the background for me to stop. Owen tries to calm her down before seeing I'm the real problem

He pulls me into a tight hug and starts talking " Hunter, look you need to just go down there okay dude. You can't stay here and scare your sister half to death"

I calm down, slightly and nod "go see her I'll watch lily"

I grab my coat and keys,and kiss lily on the forehead "I love you" I run down the stairs and open the door but stop in my tracks when I see Leo standing there with his fist up and tears rolling down his cheeks

"H-Hunter she-shes.... I.... don't kno-" he falls limp but before he could touch the ground I catch him and drag him down the steps and up to my car

I put him in and drive off. The whole car ride he kept shouting things in Spanish and crying. Seeing a man cry is really tough of him. There's only so much hurt a man can take. It's obvious that leonardo has had a lot.

I pull up to the hospital into a parking spot not caring that I parked cricked. I rush for the doors before Leo calls me

"Give me the keys I need to go somewhere" he wipes his cheeks with the back of his hand

I don't question him I just want to see Maya. I throw him the keys and make my way into the hospital. I run to the waiting area and see all of Mays's family, G and max were there to.

As soon as I stepped foot into the waiting room everyone looks up. But only one person comes up and hugs me. It surely surprised the hell out of me.

Jaxon

I can feel my jacket getting wet from his tears and can hear him whimpering" why didn't s-she let it be me?!it was suppose to be me"

Hearing Jaxon sound so broken and hurt made a tear escape my eye followed by another and another. I hug him back and shake my head

"Mays's stubborn" I say making him chuckle

He pulls away and looks at me for a while" she'll come back, she has to"

I pat his shoulder and give him a sad smile, before going and hugging everyone else.

I sat with Mays's mother the most, she didn't want me to leave her side because she said I smelled like her.

Which was true. After football practice when she said I smelled she sprayed her perfume into my hair. Even if I did wash my hair twice, the smell never left

Mrs.coretta lays her head on my shoulder and wipes her nose with a tissue, and closes her eyes " Thank you for loving my daughter" she smiles a weak smile and pats my hand

"Your welcome" I smile and lean my head on the wall behind me

'I love you Maya, so that means..... you have to come back'

--------
A/n

Not going to lie I teared up a little while writing this chapter. The song didn't help at all.

But yay Hunter realizes his feelings for Maya, with a little help from mama Coretta.

Oh and my friend was really bugging me about this lol. She was asking what The Coretta parents looked like

THEY ARE ACTUALLY A INTERRACIAL COUPLE, which I love.

Mr.Coretta is a tan Puerto Rican man with black hair and brown eyes

While Mrs. Coretta is actually a black women with long wavy brown hair and light green eyes, from the Dominican Republic, so all the kids are mixed

Had to clear that up for Rachel, but hope you guys liked this chapter and I'll see you in the next one.