Chapter 14

Blending Colors

Haaris chuckled as Adam hugged him tightly soothing his tensed muscles. His mind, his heart was becoming tranquil by every passing minute and being in that serene state Haaris again fixed his amused gaze on Ghazal who quickly moved her eyes away from him.

With Adam still in his arms, he moved forward towards Ghazal and cleared his throat.

"Assalamualaikum."

It was the first time after a long time that he greeted somebody. Those words had forgotten their way as he saw his mother going away with another man. Ghazal moved her gaze away from the clay lamp to him and replied to his greeting in a clipped tone.

"Walekumassalam."

"You didn't remember me, did you?"

He saw with a hidden smile as her cheeks turned somewhat pink at her error and in another minute she looked at him with pure confidence.

"Mr. Haaris, I treat approx ten patients every day. It's hard for me to remember everyone's face."

Haaris pursed his lips in order to stop his laughter which was bubbling up inside him seeing Ghazal's attempts to cover up her mistake.

"Haarish, itsh new?"

Adam asked innocently touching his glasses and Haaris nodded smiling at him.

"Can I try?"

"No, Adam."

Ghazal tried to interrupt them but Haaris stopped her with a shook of his head.

"Yes, of course. "

He said and with that, he carefully placed his specs on Adam's cute button nose. Adam giggled and held the glasses on his face gingerly as they were too big for his bubbly face, he was looking happy adorning those specs forcing a chortle from both of them. Haaris quickly fished out his cell phone and saw Ghazal creating some distance from them. Ignoring her, he clicked some selfies with his friend, he didn't want to miss the chance to capture that adorable moment with Adam.

A horrifying sound of tyres screeching from outside brought him back to present but his mind got muddled up in his past. It was just a sound of car but his forehead perspired as his past events began to run in front of him. Maybe Ghazal sensed it, that's why she took Adam back from him and asked,

"Are you ok, Mr. Haaris?"

He sufficed his answer on mere nodding.

"Come, Adam. Let's go inside. "

Haaris felt somewhat empty thinking of being alone again. He needed to keep his mind at place, he surely was making mistake by walking at the path where he knew, he couldn't get anything except loneliness and just that.

"Bye, Haarish."

"Bye, Champ."

He said looking at Adam and unwillingly his gaze found Ghazal's face who was fixing Adam's black blazer. She turned around and disappeared in the hall, leaving him with his thoughts of ferment.

Haaris clearly know, he was betraying someone. That someone who was his first love, Azkiya, who was the first who showed him the meaning of love when he least wanted it. That horrible sound of some minutes ago had brought back all the memories which used to haunt him to sleep. He was feeling guilty of forgetting about her, how could he? He couldn't, he shouldn't do it. He was wrong, he knew he was totally wrong.

But, it feels right...

I know, it's not.

Seeing her, thinking about her doesn't seem wrong to me.