Chapter 27

Vanishing Point

Tap...

Tap...

Tap.

Running and yelling of everybody around him, someone was ordered to keep the operation theatre ready, someone was telling how critically she was injured, someone was telling that it was mere luck she had been here on time. But all he could see was Ghazal's tightly shut eyes, all he could feel was her pale hand in his, all he could understand was Ghazal's life which was loosely hanging on a thread called hope.

How instantly destiny changes the role of a person! Some months ago, Haaris was on the stretcher-fidgeting with his life and Ghazal was doing everything to save him. His eyes were burning as more tears accumulated, ready to flow at any minute.

That jerk on the heart when Haaris heard the sound of the crash on the call, was the worst feeling he had ever felt in his entire life. He didn't want to lose her, Ghazal was becoming the reason for his life and he couldn't let her go.

"Ma will be alright?"

Adam's wet voice rudely pulled him into the present and he had to make himself strong to look at his tear stricken face. He was asking Mr. Yousuf who faked a smile and made him sit on the waiting chair.

"Yes."

Haaris heard his father's reply as he too took his seat beside them, his gaze continuously flickering to the operation theatre where his life-line had been taken. Didn't know his father's word had given him some kind of relief or not because his heart was shaking like an autumn leaf and he didn't want to dwell on the feeling of utter fear, losing Ghazal? Adam tiredly put his head on his lap surely the whole ordeal was not meant for him and Haaris moved his fingers in his hair in order to calm him.

"She will be alright, son."

Mr. Yousuf held his shoulder and Haaris pursed his lips, nodding in return. Resting the back of his head on the wall, Haaris quickly closed his eyes to wipe out all the dreaded surroundings from his mind. He didn't want to feel the cold gust of air which was bone-chilling, he didn't want to smell the pungent odor of phenyl which was pushing him back to the reality, he didn't want to see the dull colors of the hospital which was enough to remind him the reason of his presence there.

He just wanted to look at Ghazal, he just wanted to smell her jasmine fragrance around him and he just wanted to feel the touch of her soft hands on his. She was the one who had the power to calm his wildly beating heart, she knew how to soothe him in every utter difficult situation and when she was fidgeting with her life, this realization dropped on him like a bucket of ice-cold water.

Everything is stopping you from going away.

His own words echoed around him. If he would be more stubborn, if he had just stopped her from going, Ghazal would be safe with him. Haaris had no idea when that lady had occupied so much space in his heart so that seeing her in pain and thinking of losing her was only leaving him empty and worried.

He began to pray for the life of his love, he couldn't remember when was the last time when he had asked something from God but today Haaris wanted to try everything to bring back Ghazal to him. His lips were trembling as his heart wept in the conversation with his Lord.

"Haaris."

He quickly opened his eyes at the mention of his name. Gesturing his father to look after sleeping Adam, he stood up facing the doctor.

"I want to have a talk with you."

"How's Ghazal?" Haaris asked as soon as he entered the doctor's cabin.