Chapter 15

Negative Space

Haaris watched the gray sky pouring heavy shower, it was a rare sight to watch the rain in the wintery month of November. He was in his room at his grandmother's house. His visits here were getting frequent and he was unable to do anything about it. His heart wanted to see Ghazal and Adam but his mind always warned him, that he was wrong, totally and utterly wrong.

He left his room to move his mind away from the confusing and anxious thoughts. A soft voice stopped him in his tracks.

"Chubby Cheeks. "

"Chubby Cheeksh."

"No, no like this. Adi."

Haaris moved ahead in front of Ghazal's door and rested his back to the railing. She was reciting a poem to Adam, an unknown shine was present in her eyes as she showed him the gestures. She pinched her cheeks and said, " Chubby Cheeks."

Adam imitated her and Haaris's heart swelled with serene bliss looking at both of them. Why his life was playing its cruel and difficult game on him? It was not like Haaris was living with ease, he had already many problems and now this?

What should I do?

Help me, Ghazal.

"Dimple chin."

Ghazal touched her chin and Haaris felt her slight shivering as she spotted him at her door. It was as if she heard him, she heard his thoughts which were revolving around her. Haaris rubbed the back of his neck and moved ahead, stopping at the threshold. Adam instantly came running to him and hugged his legs, his adorable habit. Chuckling to himself, he picked Adam in his arms.

"Ma ish teaching me a poem."

"Very good."

Haaris said ruffling his hair, lovingly. Ghazal was looking at him with her furrowed brows clearly showing her disapproval on his sudden appearance.

" Is there any problem, Mr. Haaris?"

Her tone was cold but Haaris felt a sense of gratitude when she asked about him. He needed to hear those words, those words which would show that somebody was concerned about him. Haaris only nodded and Ghazal gestured him to take a seat on the nearby floor cushion.

"Ghaz-", Haaris cleared his throat, he surely knew how she hated her name from him, "Dr. Ghazal."

"Hmmm."

Ghazal hummed in response, her features showing her attention towards him. Haaris put Adam on the floor and he quickly came into Ghazal's welcoming embrace, Haaris was fidgeting with himself, how to say those words, that was now his new problem.

"Dr. Ghazal-"

His words died as with a knock, Batool Khala entered the room, "Child, Neha has come to meet you."

"Coming, Khala." she said and looked at Haaris when Batool Khala left, "If you will excuse me."

Haaris quickly nodded and she left her room with Adam in her arms. He held his head in his shaking hands, his eyes were burning with new tears and he was helpless, unable to understand himself. Why he was standing at that critical condition? Why it was so painful for him? What he should do? He would definitely die beneath this pain.

***

Where r u? 😐

A ghost of a smile formed on her lips as she read the message from Neha. Today was her wedding day and Ghazal too was getting ready for the big day of her friend. It was the twentieth message of the day from her, surely she could feel her nervousness with every message.