Chapter 12

Ambient Light

Ghazal looked at the page in her hands with somewhat confusion. She was shocked and all types of words that could describe her surprised state of mind. It felt odd seeing those words from Haaris Yousuf.

Time spent with Adam.

She was still not sure, it was her Adam or anyone else, Haaris was talking about.

"Adam? Your friend?"

Ghazal asked, composing herself. Haaris nodded with a small smile.

"Yes, my new found friend. He's just behind you."

Haaris motioned at the place where Adam was busy with his drawing book. Ghazal was now beyond surprised, she didn't know why? As a mother, she was happy that her son was the reason for someone's smile. She was feeling happy hearing this about Adam after the tiring incidents of her house. But as a woman, Ghazal had difficulty trusting anybody in any small thing. She just nodded silently, pushing back her tears didn't know when they came out of their hideout.

"No reply, doctor. I just praised your son."

"Yes, it is his brilliance that he's such a great company. "

Ghazal answered gathering the papers and her notebook. Haaris just smiled at her way and she looked away from him. By that time, Adam came beside her.

"Ma, shee I have made a duck."

His excited voice made her smile, she kissed his cheek. "Aw, that's beautiful. But a green-colored duck."

"Yesh ma, it livesh in grash."

Ghazal giggled, her son had a creative imagination and she adored him for that. Now, Adam came towards Haaris to show his drawing. He helped Adam to sit beside him on the bed.

"How ish it?"

"It is good."

"Nexht time, I will make a horsh and will show you."

Adam said bobbing his head. Ghazal was getting uncomfortable with Adam talking to Haaris. It was not good, how could they both get so well? Haaris was a rude, arrogant, snobby man who never talked with anybody. But here he was talking to Adam, so politely as if his tongue never uttered a single rude word in his entire life.

"But Adam, I will not be here." Haaris's voice came and she looked between them, where Adam was sitting with a confused face.

"Then, I will meet you in the garden." Adam's innocent reply brought forth a chuckle from Haaris.

Haaris pinched his nose. "I will be not in the hospital, dear. I will be at my home."

"Why, ma?" Now Adam had asked for her help and pulled her in their conversation.

"Adam, Mr. Haaris is now fine. His bug has gone so he will go back to his home. " Ghazal tried to make him understand and saw Adam's changing expression. He nodded and looked at him for a moment. His next act was a surprise for both Ghazal and Haaris.

"I will mish you.", Adam said placing a kiss on Haaris's cheek.

"I will miss you, too," Haaris replied ruffling Adam's hair.

"Come, Adam, time to go." Ghazal said holding Adam's hand, "Mr. Haaris, I will send the prescriptions. Also the list of important precautions you have to take."

Haaris nodded looking in her eyes and she again looked away. He couldn't look in her eyes. It was very intimidating. Whenever he looked in her eyes as if he was finding something in them and Ghazal didn't want to show him anything.