Chapter 19

Chiaroscuro

Haaris quickly came back to his senses as the heavy slap left a burning sensation in his right cheek. In front of him was Ghazal, who was looking beyond furious. Her eyes were furrowed in anger, glaring at him with full force. What the hell happened to him? Why he was standing on pavement that too with Ghazal? What he did to earn that painful slap.

He slowly rubbed his cheek to ease the pain, thinking about the slap of a few moments ago. Ghazal was looking so much in anger that first-time Haaris was feeling like a coward and didn't want to make eye contact with the lady.

"Are you out of your mind, Mr. Haaris?"

Haaris discouragedly looked at Ghazal whose voice was giving every indication of her anger. He slowly gulped the ball of worry, " What happened? "

"Are you serious?"

Ghazal said exasperatedly. He really didn't know what was happening? But something was more than serious, some passersby were giving them curious glances.

"You don't remember the incident of a few minutes ago, do you?"

Haaris hesitantly shook his head, unable to understand the reason behind Ghazal's cold tone and anger.

"You don't remember that you were about to hit by the truck due to your carelessness."

Ghazal said rhetorically, now she was looking surprised, eyes widened slightly. Haaris pondered over the fact, he was about to get by truck. When the hell did that happened? He didn't remember leaving his house, let alone coming in front of any vehicle. Ghazal was still staring at him with a confused gaze and all he wanted was to smile seeing her so much awed, he would definitely paint this someday. The shades of surprise on her face were making his heartbeat at a different rhythm. But smiling in front of her at this time, when she was not looking less than a lioness, would surely be enough as inviting his own death.

"Do whatever you want to do."

Ghazal said irritated maybe due to the awkward silence and moved past him. The evening was slowly widening its wings, he turned around and found Ghazal getting away from him with every moment. His legs quickly got pace and Haaris caught up with her in no time.

"Was it true, what were you saying there?"

"Why will I lie?"

Came a blank response, her tone clipped and containing zero degrees icy coldness. She fixed her handbag on her shoulder, taking longer strides in her attempt to move away from him.

"I don't understand one thing. " he said looking at Ghazal who was walking without acknowledging his presence beside her, "Why you always save me? Why can't you let me die?"

"You are accepting that this was another attempt of suicide. "

"Stop answering my questions with questions, Ghazal."

Ghazal suddenly stopped and turned fully to face him, her expressions dancing between anger and agitation.

***

Was he for real? That man was looking utterly confused when Ghazal slapped him but what was another way of pulling him back to his present.

She had just left the hospital when the noise of horns and people yelling caught her attention. Getting to the source of that noises, she found Haaris Yousuf standing in the middle of the road, his eyes felt like they had been stoned. The truck driver was yelling at him but Haaris was not looking at him let alone respond to him.