Chapter Three: Loki

I was absolutely furious.

I was in my study when the two ravens landed on my windowsill. Immediately, I knew I wouldn't be pleased with the news. They were Odin's trusted companions, Huginn and Muninn. With my lips set in a straight line, I reached out my hand. Huginn placed the scroll in my palm, then he and Muninn flew off, cawing loudly.

With a deep sigh, I read the message. Then I read it again. As my eyes scanned the words, I grew angrier and angrier. Finally I crumbled the scroll in my fist and threw it into the fire.

I'd had enough of Odin's meddling in my affairs. Who was he to betroth me to a girl, without so much as notifying me? Didn't I have a say in this? I ground my teeth and dissipated, teleporting to the Palace in the center of Asgard. I appeared before the Throne Room, and burst through the doors like an angry beast.

Mother and Father sat upon their golden thrones, looking almost pleased to see me. But I was seething. I would have none of this. I wasn't a child anymore.

"Loki!" bellowed Odin, spreading his arms for an embrace. Oh yes, he looked quite a sight in his gleaming silver armor, his gray beard creeping from his face. His one good eye beamed proudly. "And to what do we owe this great visit to?" His pleasant attitude only pissed me off more.

"You know exactly what!" I shouted, unable to restrain myself. My voice made a bitter, harsh sound that echoed throughout the chamber.

Odin's hands fell to his side and he scowled. He wasn't fond of my sharp tongue. "What has you so angry, my son?"

Now, I was not Odin's true son, merely adopted, but I chose not to throw that in his face. I hated disappointing him, no matter how angry he made me. He had taken me in, knowing exactly what I was. He had raised me as his own, alongside his other sons. But no matter how much I cared for him, I didn't agree with every decision he'd made.

"Why have you gone and betrothed me to some girl I've never even heard of? And without my consent?" I shouted, my chin twitching to the left side.

Odin stood up, the ravens perched on his shoulder squawking in protest. "Well son, how do you expect us to seek your opinion, when we hardly know of your whereabouts at any given time?"

I hesitated. Well, he certainly had a point there. "No matter," I insisted, "you could have summoned me."

"Why bother? Half the time we summon you, you never show," Father countered. He was not being snide, but his words still irritated me. Odin was one God whose wits well matched my own.

I sighed. He had me cornered. I'd do well to calm myself. "I apologize, Father," I said in defeat, although I was still agitated. "I just wish I would have known you were even considering this option."

Odin came to me and held me by the shoulders. His good eye bored into mine. "Son, your Mother and I always want what is best for you." Here, he glanced up at my Mother, who was worriedly standing on tiptoe to gauge my reaction. Odin looked at me again. "And, well, you've always been a tad unruly."

I glanced up at Mother, white-haired Frigga, who nodded sadly. "We've fretted and torn our hair out, Son," she said, gracefully sweeping down the stairs to stand beside Odin. "We don't know how to help you."

That was the issue, though. Odin and Frigga believed me to be too mischievous and introverted. They had, since my childhood, been trying like hell to sort me out. I sighed, looking away. I hadn't expected to come in here with anything besides righteous anger.

"We aren't trying to run your life, Son," Odin went on, "I mean, look at your brother Thor. He used to keep us up at night, with the way he would run around with any woman he'd lay eyes on, and brawling up a storm."

"Then we wed him to Sif," Frigga added, "and he smoothed out. Everyone needs that special someone to bring meaning to their lives." Here, Frigga and Odin shared a loving smile. It was all I could do not to roll my eyes and storm off. I was not Thor! I was perfectly content by myself. In fact, I preferred it. And I wanted to point out that they hadn't mentioned the tragic union of Nanna and Balder. But the logical side of me understood, these were my parents, by love if not by blood. And they simply wanted good things for me. They seemed to honestly believe marriage would tame me. I knew I'd been beaten. There was no way to break a betrothal. Especially not one forged by the King and Queen of Asgard. I had been foolish to think I could sway them.

"Regardless," I said, "I've never even heard of this girl. Who is she?"

"She's the daughter of Njord and Kara, the Valkyrie," Odin said simply.

"Ah," I said, nodding. She still didn't ring a bell.

Mother rolled her eyes. "She was exiled to Midgard," she explained. "Skadi wasn't too fond of Njord's lack of fidelity."

"You're marrying me to a Midgardian?" I blurted out with shock.

"She's not a Midgardian!" insisted Odin. "She was born of Asgard, and she has recently returned. She's staying with Freyja until she's a bit older."

I nodded, though I was still not pleased. "And why was I not allowed to choose my bride?"

Odin snorted with laughter, and Mother simply shook her head. "Loki, dear," she said softly, "we would have been waiting forever for you to choose. For you to truly become a God in your full potential, you need a consort."

"Oh, Mother-"

Frigga held up her hand. I silenced myself. I would argue with Odin, but never my mother. It was no use arguing with the Goddess of Marriage herself. "What's done is done, Loki," she said firmly. "I chose her myself. I have watched her for years now. She's beautiful, smart, kind... I think she'll be a perfect match."

I lowered my gaze respectfully. Mother was a brilliant woman, truly the force behind Odin's rule. I trusted her more than any being in the Nine Realms. If she believed the girl would suit me, I would give her a chance. She never led me wrong before, no matter how angry I'd became.

"Very well," I said, trying to keep my voice pleasant.

"That's a boy," Odin said warmly.

My parents congratulated me, though the wedding was a few years off, and I took my leave. But as I left the Palace, I still wasn't convinced. I didn't think this marriage would do me any good at all.