Chapter Thirty-Eight: Skadi

When I got news of the emergency meeting at the Well of Urd, I was delighted. Surely, Odin would now announce Loki's punishment. I delighted myself, dreaming of what he would endure. Lifelong imprisonment? Exile? Torture? I was considering the suggestions I would put forth already.

I had spoken to my daughter, who had told me of Rani's refusal to leave Loki alone. While the others were terribly concerned, I was elated. This, to me, was a promise. A promise that if Loki were to go down, Rani would follow him. Everything had worked out so perfectly, I could hardly believe it.

So it was with an unnatural confidence I made my way to the Well of Urd, beneath Yggdrasil. I was one of the first to arrive; only Odin, Frigga, Rani, and Loki were before me. I greeted them with much pleasantness, not noticing that Loki wasn't in chains.

We didn't wait long before the other Aesir arrived. Odin and Frigga stood in the center of the circle, the bare branches of Yggdrasil fawning over them in the winter sun. It had snowed a bit more, though not nearly as badly as the night of the attack. I had no control over the winter weather of Asgard, otherwise I would have kept the place iced over for months.

At last, Odin called us all to attention. "My Aesir brethren," he said solemnly, "I'm sure you are wondering why I called you all here on such short notice." We all gazed at him expectantly. I could hardly contain my excitement. My revenge was nigh; I could almost taste it.

"I've come to announce what is to become of my son Loki," he went on, "with the charges brought against him concerning the Jotunn. In order to get the ultimate truth of the situation, we called in Forseti to judge him."

My joy was crushed immediately. My heart stopped, and all the blood rushed from my face. They summoned Forseti? I was devastated. Forseti's powers saw right through him. My hopes were dashed. All the color left my face, and I felt as though I were falling into a pit.

"Loki is innocent," Odin announced, "and we all owe him a great apology."

I gazed at the faces in the crowd. Most of them wore expressions of surprise or sheepishness. They were all either avoiding Loki's gaze, or sending him silent apologies. Loki himself stood unreadable and calm, his eyebrows raised in boredom. Rani was at his side, beaming with pride and joy. I wanted to smack her little face. How did this happen? How had I not foreseen this?

"However," Odin continued, "since Loki was not the culprit, that means something or someone else urged the Frost Giants to attack."

Murmurs ebbed throughout the crowd. It had been so easy to simply assume that Loki, since he was Jotunn and known to be resentful and tricky, had been behind this. Now, everyone was stumped.

"Does anyone have any clue as to why the Jotunn attacked?" Frigga asked, quieting the crowd.

There was a resounding silence. I stewed angrily, livid that my plans had fallen through. However, I fervently prayed that no one remembered my Jotunn lineage. I had been around much longer than Loki, and my actions had never been blamed on my blood, as his had. And, I had made sure to be absent from the Jul festival. If I had been nearby during the attack, I would have been found out.

"Perhaps they just felt like it?" Freyr suggested. There were a few stifled chuckles, but he explained himself. "The Jotunn used to attack as they pleased. Perhaps their numbers have grown so that they feel they can do so once again."

The laughter turned to pensive thought. Perhaps he was right? I nodded, pretending to go along with my son. I couldn't let anyone know my involvement, for I had another plan brewing. I would not take defeat so easily.

"Well if that's the case," Thor said, "they may not attack again. There were no Asgardian casualties, but a few Jotunn deaths. We hit them hard, even though we were caught off guard. Surely they wouldn't willingly face another defeat like that?"

"What if," Sif piped up, "someone from another Realm was using them?"

A hush settled over the group. If that were the case, then Asgard might be facing a huge battle. I nearly laughed aloud. I was already fighting off a hysterical giggle. Their strained, worried faces brought me much happiness. They had all sided with Loki and Rani, now, fretting over them. They had willingly accepted this bastard child into their ranks, utterly defacing all of us whose bloodlines were pure. A deep rage settled in my stomach. I would put an end to them all if I had to! I would not sit by and allow this madness to continue. Odin was a fool to let the bastardess into their ranks. She was unworthy.

The conversation went in circles. It was obvious no one had any idea why the Jotunn attacked. I was growing bored. Finally, Odin closed the debate. "No matter what," he said, "we should all be on our toes. Those of you who can stay close to the Palace, it would benefit all of us greatly if you could do so."

I zoned out once again, planning. I didn't care if they fortified the walls of the Palace with diamond, I would not stop until I had destroyed Rani. If that meant taking a few others, so be it. I was a woman beyond reason, pushed to her limits. I was not backing down.

Odin released us, and I went on my way. Instead of going straight to my mountains, however, I paid a little visit to Jotunheim.