Chapter Thirty-Six: Rani

Einmyria, my Midgardian foster mother, had once told me that you can catch more flies with honey instead of piss. And thanks to that advice, I had made sure our time in the dungeon was as comfortable as possible. Each time that we received a visitor, I did my best to loosen their bias with my unfailing loyalty. Everyone was mostly concerned for my sake; I was better off than Loki by far. His wounds were still giving him trouble, and he was prone to illness with the cold. Eir visited us every day to tend to us. As she predicted, my thigh scabbed over and began to heal, though I was still dragging my leg as I walked. She informed me that it would take time to reteach my muscles how to work.

Although Loki's wounds were fairly shallow, they were on a crucial part of the body. Even as the gashes healed, they were itchy and sore, making movement a hassle. The chill was not helping. Eir made him foul-smelling poultices and ointments, to speed up the healing process and fight off infection. If by chance he did get feverish, we had to force a disgusting tea down his throat. Eir was doing all she could, and she directed me as well. As many as three times a day, I changed his bandages and reapplied the ointments.

Since his body was healing, it needed plenty of strength. Thus, Loki would sleep often. He kept to the lumpy bed, because overexerting himself could lead to his wounds reopening. At night, we would sleep together. We hadn't shared a bed very often at Laufeyson, so this was a new experience. The first night, it was terribly awkward. We kept elbowing each other and trying in vain to get comfortable. But by the end of the first week, we had fallen asleep curled around one another many times. Though Loki was not as vocal with his feelings as I was, he did not fight me off. He didn't even interrogate me when I told Thor I loved my husband. Perhaps he finally understood I was not going anywhere if I could help it.

We had been locked up for a week when Frigga came.

Loki was asleep, still, as it was early morning. Fenrir was at his side, in the little nest he'd made from the straw on the floor. I had taken my place in the chair, watching them sleep. It was strange, seeing my little family reduced to this cage.

I didn't even hear Frigga approach. It wasn't until I felt a tingling on the back of my neck, that I looked up and noticed her.

"Lady Frigga," I beamed, rising to meet her. I was quiet, so that I didn't wake Loki. I reached through the bars to embrace her. The cell door and walls were charmed, so that all who were inside were stripped of their powers. Each time my skin came into contact with the bars, it shocked me a little.

"I'm so happy to see you both are doing... fairly well," Frigga frowned, referring to my slow limp. I could see the worry written all over her face.

"Shall I wake Loki?" I asked, "He will be so pleased to see you."

"No," Frigga said, sorrowfully, "I don't have much time. I am not supposed to be here. Odin has forbidden me to visit you two."

"Why?!" I hissed. Odin was usually so wise, so understanding. We hadn't heard any news about him, so I was beginning to fear him from afar. I knew Odin's temper could be a force to behold.

Frigga sighed sadly. "He is convinced of Loki's guilt. He thinks that Loki arranged the attack to protest the marriage, angry that we interfered in his life."

I shook my head. "That's silly," I said, "he's innocent."

Frigga whispered, "I think so, too, but Odin thinks that I only see him with Mother's eyes. That I am blind to his 'true' ways."

I sighed angrily. "Loki would not be suspect if he wasn't part Jotunn. While I can understand why he would be under scrutiny, it's also discriminating. No one even asked his side of the story! They simply threw him in jail!"

Frigga nodded sadly. "I understand," she said calmly. "But luckily, I have gotten through to Odin. I talked him into taking Loki before Forseti."

“Who is that?” I asked. I had never heard this name before.

"Forseti is the God of Justice and Truth. He has the ability to sense a lie, as if it were written clearly upon your face. His word is final." I released a relieved sigh.

"Good," I said happily, "then we shall put an end to this once and for all."

Frigga looked at me with a soft smile. “He is also our nephew. He is the son of Balder and Nanna.”

I gave Frigga a sympathetic frown. She rarely spoke of her dear boys, who had both been killed long ago. Nanna, Balder's wife, had taken her own life when faced with the death of her husband. Hod, who had murdered Balder out of jealousy, had been killed in order to avenge Balder. I hadn't known that Balder and Nanna had a son.

"In four days, Forseti will arrive. Odin agreed that he will see Loki, though he is utterly convinced of his guilt."

I thanked her profusely, knowing she must have fought a hard battle for her son.

"One more thing, then I must go," Frigga whispered, "thank you very much for staying by him. I know I made the right choice with you."

I smiled, teary-eyed. Those words, I'd been waiting for them since before the wedding. Frigga clasped my hand, and stole away before she was found missing. I watched her until she was out of eyesight, then I resigned myself to my chair.

Fenrir and Loki were still fast asleep. I hoped Loki would be pleased when I told him about Forseti. That meant that hopefully, we would be out of this cell soon.

Although I had been loyally adhering to the belief that Loki was innocent, in my own heart, I wasn't as sure as I seemed. There was still a slim chance that he had arranged the attack. Until we met with Forseti, I would still be a bit uncertain. It made no sense that Loki would call for the Jotunn to attack. After all, he had seemed just as shocked as the rest of us.

But then again, he wasthe God of Trickery. What if this was all some sort of elaborate plot? If he was guilty, then that meant our entire life was a lie. The progress I thought I'd made with him would be for naught. In all honesty, I knew very little of my husband's affairs. He could have been plotting all of this under my nose, and I would have been completely oblivious. I closed my eyes, hoping that I was right, that Loki was innocent. After all, he had risked his life to save mine, and I had done the same. I felt so guilty, knowing that I still had my doubts.

Four days. In four days' time, I would know the truth.