Chapter Five: Rani

Once Freyja left, I collapsed on the bed. I was utterly exhausted. I steadied my mind, allowing myself to settle and absorb the day's events. I was in Asgard, in the home of Freyja. I was intended to be a goddess proper, carrying heavy responsibilities to help keep the Nine Realms in order. I would someday be married to Loki, God of Mischief, Son of Odin.

Only this morning, I'd been Rani, daughter of Einmyria and Hakon, living in a small village of Scandinavia. Now, I was Rani, daughter of Njord and Kara, sister of Freyja and Freyr. It was all too much to understand. And underneath all of the confusion, I felt the ache of loss. I longed for my parents, and even my rotten brothers. I wished more than anything I could have said farewell. It pained me to think that Mother and Father had always known I would someday leave, and they could never tell me. What a heavy burden that must have been.

Tears began to fall, and I sobbed into my pillow. I was surrounded by beauty and things I had only heard stories of, but I could not pretend I was happy. I cried until my face was salty with tears and my eyes felt swollen. And then I fell into a dark sleep.

When I woke, the sun had moved across the sky, and a servant was waking me. "Rise, My Lady," she said, lightly patting me. "It's nearing dinner."

I sat up, taking in my surroundings. When I realized where I was, I calmed my nerves. I had expected to wake up in my cottage in Midgard. The pang of loss returned, feeling like an open gash across my abdomen. My shoulders slumped and tears threatened to return.

The servant was ushering me out of bed. "We must get you ready," she said, "you have dinner guests."

My heart beat wildly when I heard this. I hadn't realized I'd have to meet anyone else so soon. In fact, I would have rather not. "Who is here?" I asked tentatively. I'd never had servants before, and I wasn't sure how to handle such a situation.

"Thor and his wife, Sif, as well as your brother Freyr," the servant replied. I relaxed only a bit. I'd been concerned I'd have to meet my future husband. With such change in my life so quickly, I was content to bide my time before I even thought about my marriage. But still, the thought of eating supper with Gods I'd only heard of in stories frightened me. Surely I would embarrass myself or make myself look simple. Dread and anxiety made me shake.

I allowed the servant, who revealed her name was Idony, to lead me to the washroom. A warm, fragrant bath was already awaiting me. I pulled off my gown reluctantly. It was a part of my previous life, and I never wanted to be without it. However, Idony gently laid my gown upon a stool, perhaps understanding the importance it held. I wondered just how much she knew.

I settled in the bath, relishing the warm water. This was my first taste of true luxury. Usually my bathwater at home was cold and cramped in a wash bin. But this huge tub smelled of sweet violets, and was a balm against my tired body. I tried to relax, but I was far too jumpy. So I scrubbed my fiery hair and fair skin with a bar of gardenia-scented soap. It felt so good to be clean; the journey to Fanndis had kicked up dirt and dust galore.

Once I was clean, Idony ushered me out of the tub. I dried off with a warm, fluffy towel, and Idony provided me with undergarments, kindly keeping her eyes from my nakedness. It didn't matter; I was already blushing anyway.

Despite my pleading, Idony wouldn't let me wear my gown. "Please," I begged, "my mother made it for me."

Idony shook her head. "I'm very sorry, My Lady," she insisted, "but it's covered in dirt and smells of sweat. Please, take one from the wardrobe. I shall have yours cleaned with the utmost care."

Defeated, I stomped over to the wardrobe. Mother had always complained of my short temper, and now, I wore it like a medal. Father would have chided me for being so ungracious, so I tried to calm down. I scanned the multi-colored dresses before me. Finally, I settled on a lovely emerald green gown made of crushed velvet. The sleeves and hem were trimmed with oak-brown. It was finer than anything I'd ever worn, and I handled it carefully. Idony helped me dress, then led me to a cherrywood vanity.

I sat before it and allowed her to comb and style my hair. When I closed my eyes, I could pretend that it was Mother brushing out the knots, as she had when I was a child.

"Could you style it as it was earlier?" I asked softly.

"As you wish, My Lady," Idony answered.

Once she had finished, I examined myself in the mirror. Indeed, I looked lovely. It was as if my appearance had undergone a great change in my sleep. Later, I would find out it was the cleansing, healing waters of Vanaheim itself. My hair shimmered like the fading sun's rays, and my eyes glittered as if dew had settled inside them. My skin glowed, and my freckles had all but disappeared. Truly, I looked like a goddess.

My admiration was interrupted by a knock at the door. Freyja herself entered, looking even more beautiful than I remembered. She smiled warmly, her teeth as white as the winter snows.

"Why Sister," she remarked, "you look wonderful!"

I smiled shyly and blushed, thanking her.

"I'm sure Idony has informed you of our guests," Freyja said, "so I shall accompany you to the dining hall. I don't want you to feel too nervous. I hadn't anticipated their arrival myself, but Thor is hard-headed at times. Once he gets something in his mind, nothing can stop him."

I smiled, and my heart swelled at the kindness of my half-sister. She had been so good to me. I would have expected her to be rude to an illegitimate sibling, and I was so grateful she wasn't. I knew I'd be well taken care of in her home. I vowed to try and be as polite and well-behaved as possible, for Freyja's sake.

Freyja and I walked side by side into the dining room. As we entered, everyone stood. I couldn't keep the flush from overcoming my face. I must have looked like I'd been sunburned. My heart was as fast as a rabbit's, and my palms felt damp. I wished more than anything I could

"Welcome, Lady Rani," boomed a man with cropped dark hair and bright blue eyes. He was introduced as my half-brother, Freyr.

"I'm so thrilled to finally meet you," he beamed. I returned the courtesy, still flushed. He had Freyja's stunning blue eyes, and our shared nose. A beard darker than his hair covered most of his face, but he was smiling. My foster-brothers came to mind- he looked nothing like them, and come to think of it, neither did I.

Our two other guests were just as delighted to meet me. I shyly introduced myself to the beautiful Sif, with her endless blonde hair. Her husband, Thor, I had heard many stories about, as he was a favorite amongst my people on Midgard. He was handsome and rugged, although nothing like the bards had described of him. When I shyly told him this, he threw his head back and laughed heartily.

"Young Rani," he laughed, "you will be a jewel in the crown of Asgard! I am happy to call you my future sister-in-law."

I blushed three shades of red at the compliment, much to the delight of the others. The conversation finally turned to other topics, and we ate heartily. The food was delicious, and the company was wonderful. Before long, I realized I was enjoying myself.

Perhaps in time I would find myself comfortable in my new home.