Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Tristan’s POV

I waited nervously in my company’s lobby for Leon. He said he would come at around six and it was five minutes past six. I looked at the phone he gave me and I thought of calling him. However, he beat me to it.

The phone rang softly and I picked it up. “Tristan?” my nervousness immediately went away as soon as I heard his voice.

“Yeah? Where are you?” I asked, looking outside trying to find him in the midst of the sea of people. “I’ll be there in a bit. Just come outside,” he said. “Ok,” and we hung up.

I stepped outside and found a metal coloured Ford Mustang sitting right outside. The driver pushed open the door and I was shocked to see it was Leon. He beamed a smiled and beckoned me to come over. I walked towards his car, holding onto my sling back. He rushed towards the passenger’s side and opened my door.

I chuckled. “Well, thanks for being a gentleman,” I said. He smiled and as soon as he closed his door, he reached over and caught me off guard by giving me a deep kiss which I gladly returned. Thank God the car mirrors were tinted black so no one saw us.

“Where’s your workplace, by the way? You didn’t even tell me the name of your company,” I started, trying to slow down my heartbeat. The interior was leather and black chrome all over. It looked like a moving bank safe. “Actually, The Lockheart Tower is where my office is,” he replied. I turned to look at him. “Seriously?”

“And the name Lockheart is based on my last name, Lockwood.”

At this Leon’s smirk elongated. As if he knew I was impressed. In fact, I was speechless. Even though it wasn’t the highest building in the city, it was named the best structural design and the best eco-friendly building as it has small ponds on every floor which it was renowned for.

“No wonder it has ponds on every level,” I confirmed. Leon shrugged as he drove, eyes looking straight at the road. “Humans succumb easily to envy especially if someone else is successful. I need to prepare myself in case of anything goes wrong,” he replied. “Like what?” I eyed him.

He gazed at me for a moment. “People will do anything to get whatever they want. Murder, assassination, fraud and the list goes on. But we, the wizards are not afraid of that. Humans’ capabilities are limited to that. What would make it terrible is when a fellow wizard steps in and tries to kill us.”

I stared at him, allowing him to continue. “Sure, there are good and bad wizards. But we don’t condone cowardly killing. If we must kill the other wizards, we must propose a duel. If the motive is good enough, then a duel will commence.” I raised my eyebrows. “That sounds…like old school. Really old school,” I commented.

He chuckled and took his hand of the wheel to rub at my cheek. “That’s the rule, since the beginning of time for us wizards. However, there are few of us who go against the rule, putting poison and drinks and foods, setting traps in homes, kidnapping and such.”

“So, you’re just taking precautions?” I asked. He nodded. “Now that Lord Seagraves, your grandfather is gone the wizardry world is going a bit crazy right now,” he continued. “Why’s that?” I asked confused. He just gave me a smile but didn’t say anything else.

We arrived at the tower soon after. We got out of the car and he passed his keys to the valet and almost everyone in the lobby greeted him. I stayed beside him awkwardly as we walked towards the elevator. He swiped a black card on the card detector and immediately the door closed. I searched for which floor he was pressing but I noticed none of the floor buttons were on. “Uhh, did you forget to press the floor button?” I asked.