A Hero's Lament

Colors

Ch. 7

A Hero's Lament

By: Cutegirlmayra(It's been a while since I've written for this story, sorry about that XP College is hard when it keeps piling hw on ya... but I had to write this! I had to keep it updated! So, here it is! Hope you all enjoy it and thank you for sticking around and waiting for it! My dad's still taking his sweet time editing it, but maybe one day this'll be a book? We'll see~)

Coop parked and got out of the car as causally as he could. Looking around for a moment, he put his hands in his pockets, and then let one out as quickly as he put it in to open the door for me. I got out faster than Coop anticipated; I was so tried of being 'cooped' up in that car though.

I snickered at my own thoughts, as Coop glared a bit at me, bending down after looking around and keeping his face out of sight through the car's coverage. He had one arm up on the top of the car as he leaned over and whispered to me, in a very fatherly scolding way. "Now listen, kid. You gotta stop acting so suspicious! Just relax, you're too... too..."

I was swinging my body right to left, hopping a bit on my ankles, and looked up to him with a smug smile that showed I was pretty relaxed. "I think I'm fine compared to your sweaty face, tense posture, and tight face." I added, seeing him look at me without a word and then straighten himself up. He then gave me the best fake smile he could, which was ridiculously big, and swaggered on passed me.

It was like his first big scandal, if you ask me. He did say he had been tracking this guy for quite some time but still....

He was so excited he came off nervous.

"Just stay quiet-" He began.

"And let me do the talking." I remembered, and winked to him.

He nodded back, and then flicked my hoody off to rub my hair.

We truly looked like a family, me and Coop, and to be honest I'd be proud to have Coop as my dad. His real little girl was quite lucky.

And then that got me thinking.... Isn't his family always worrying about him? I'd be afraid if my dad had a job like this for sure. I scrunched up my face just thinking about it, what a horrible thought to fall to sleep to at night. 'Sorry, honey. Your daddy's still out late for secret and dangerous detective busting. But goodnight!' how miserable.

While I was contemplating his family's disposition on his job's risks I suddenly saw at the corner of my eye a top delivery agent I used to know.

There were about three or five of them, I couldn't tell cause they we're all wearing dark hoodies and black pants, blending in together like Zebras do to not get singled out or spotted.

My eyes narrowed, as I stopped in mid-stride, letting my foot that was still up and ready to land fall slowly down and back to me.

"Hmm? Kid? What's up?" Coop turned around, but by that time, the kids I knew had walked down to an 'employees only' door, and I just walked back up to Coop, turning my gaze from them.

"Nothing. Let's go." I'll have to investigate it later. Coop was to uptight right now. He'd have stopped me and told me it was too dangerous, even after saving his life back in the sewers. That, and he needed me, I could tell. As I walked past him he grabbed my shoulder in concern.

"Hey, hey, woah... come on now. What's over there?" he looked to where I had looked, and I just shook my head, tugged my hoody up a bit so I'd still look like his detective in training, or at least a emo looking intern who didn't want to come to the bank today.