Grey Underling

Colors

Ch. 17

Grey Underling

By: Cutegirlmayra (Working hard to finish this! Lol)

As I came to the slided door that opened my way into the helicopter, I was immediately greeted with a wide grin, loving hands swooping over me, and Coop shaking his hands up and down my upper back. "You're alright, kid! You're alright!" he seemed overjoyed, no... he was overjoyed, and so was I.

I let my hand rest on his shoulder and smiled too, letting my head fall into him. "You really are like a worried parent." I had to hold in some of my emotions, but in all honesty, I couldn't help letting some love for the old detective out in my weary voice.

"Lily..."

A kind of scratchy, hoarse voice came from Pierce's direction. I turned and waved, knowing he could see that.

He nodded, "We've been waiting for you."

"Sorry, I got a little... tied up." I moved away from Coop, but gave him a reassuring expression as I put my hand to his head. "Coop, I have to tell you something."

"Same here, Kid."

"Shade's back, worse then ever, and guess who joined his army?"

Coop was rocked by the helicopter a moment, still staring at me as the wheels in his head kept turning. He braced himself after a particularly harsh jolt and then his eyes seemed to twinkle with understanding. "All those kids from the KA7..."

He turned back to Pierce, "Thanks for the update."

Wait, did they cheat?

There was a resounding and sarcastic 'Yes' in my mind just then, and I gave Pierce a playful smirk. 'We don't have time to let everyone figure it out. He's going to say that there's another base in the junkyard.'

I gasped, looking straight back to Coop, "There's another base in the junkyard!? I thought the police had surrounded that place? How'd he get another secret base in there?"

Coop looked confused before quickly shifting to disappointment, angling his head up to indirectly roll his eyes at Pierce sitting behind him. "Thanks, Pierce." He grumbled.

Pierce just smiled.

"B-but how?" I incredulously still asked, unable to believe it.

"It's a pretty big property, Colors." Coop joked, "Pierce says the one we first found was just a buried old building they got working again. It's actually not underground or anything, just swamped with junk." He turned back to Pierce, "They've got another one for training recruits. He says Shade's ready to move, and Jet's not lookin' too good..."

My heart sank.

Jet...

"I have to go." I took on a serious expression, trying to seem mature but I knew Pierce would call my bluff right away.

"Sneaking into a villain's den without backup is suicide if you're not an appropriate ranking." Art suddenly spoke up and we all diverted our attention to him. "Rules state you're still a sidekick grade. You'll need a supervised hero in order to proceed with a stealth mission of this magnitude."

"I'll just pretend to be his recruit. He'll love that." I argued, turning to Pierce. "And Pierce can tell me everyone's thoughts and where to go to save Jet."

Pierce lifted his head up, his blindfold slightly lose and flapping in the turbulence.

He seemed calm, but was perhaps a bit afraid of what I was planning.