Chapter 5

“So, Arianna, you heard Miss Smith – you are to keep off your feet until your sores heal and you have to eat something light every hour or two. Blake’s already working on your next meal. You are also required to finish at least one large flask of honey lemon drink every day. Can you do that, sweetheart?” I ask with a grin, loving her name more and more each minute.

Arianna nods her head, giving me a shy smile which melts my heart. My ear splitting grin upgrades into chuckles as she struggles to contain her yawn. Miss Smith did warn that she needed lots of rest to allow her body to recuperate. I quickly slide off the bed, and reposition myself back at my old spot at the end of the bed.

“You should get some more sleep, sweetheart. When you wake up, I’ll have Blake bring up your next meal” I persuade Arianna. Arianna flashes me another smile and slides into the duvet. I sit and watch her for a while until her breathing deepens and evens out.

I sigh as I flop onto the couch, stretching out my body to its length. “Hey Cal, is she asleep yet?” I hear Nate through our mind link. Yawning, I reply “Yup… What’s up?” “You need to eat and we need to talk to you. Do you think you could come down here for a sec?” came Nate’s reply. I hesitate, not comfortable at leaving Arianna on her own. Running a hand through my hair, I glance at Arianna sleeping peacefully in bed.

“Uhh… Yeah, I suppose I could. She just dozed off and might be out for an hour or two...  I’m on my way.” I reply, getting up quickly. The faster I get there, the faster I get back, I chant to myself. Descending the steps two at a time, I arrive in the kitchen where Nate’s in his usual chair on the extended island and Blake’s just putting down some food on my spot.

Taking my seat, I realized I hadn’t had breakfast and start gulfing down the minestrone soup and bread. “So, what did you want to talk about?” I ask in between mouthfuls of the heavenly soup.

“Well, you know how we’re supposed to go on our pre-graduation summer vacation tomorrow right?” Nate asks. “Oh crap! I don’t think I can go guys, not while Arianna’s here. And I’m not letting her leave in her current condition. I’m sorry…” I stop eating and look at my two best buds.

“No Caleb, we’re not going. We were just going to inform you that we cancelled the flight tickets and accommodation. We’re not leaving you here and we’re certainly not leaving our future Luna while she needs us, man.” Blake says matter-of-factly while pointing his spatula-looking thing– which he was using to grill fish – at me to emphasize his point.

“Really? You sure?” I eye them skeptically. I feel like it’s asking too much of them or taking too much from them. “Yup, we’re sure. We already called to extend our lease here for another four months. We also need to inform our parents and your dad on our change of plans. But I think you ought to do the honors and call your dad first, tell them about..Arianna?” Nate asks.

“Yeah… Arianna” I beam. “How did you get her to tell you her name? She couldn’t even get a word out this morning…” Blake asks as he serves me my grilled tuna. “I got her to write it down, you doofus” I say, throwing my napkin at Blake.

Right after I finish my meal, I call my dad. “What’s wrong, son?” were my dad’s famous first words. I chuckle, “Nothing. Well, okay, not quite nothing but not really anything much either.” There was a pause before I hear my dad, “What? Stop speaking in riddles, son. It’s not even a good one.” I laugh at his statement.

“Erm… Nate, Blake and I aren’t going to Southern Europe anymore.” I start. “Okay… Where will you be going then?” my dad asks slowly. “We’re not going anywhere. We’re staying put.” I reply. I know it’s pretty immature to drag out the conversation but I’m really not sure how to tell my dad about Arianna and her delicate condition.