Falling In Love

Stepmother Vivan POV

I chased Minerva through the house before finally telling her to stop. Tightly tying the corset around her waist until she screamed in pain. After that I had the girls line up so we could discuss how to impress the prince.

If I'm honest their curtsies could use some work. They should probably just nod their heads respectfully. The two compete with each other before I jump in so we can move on.

"Tell me what you're going to say to the prince, Minerva." I inquired.

"Well you said to show him there's more to me than mere beauty so I thought I might recite a poem." She answered.

"A poem?" Calliope interjected.

"What's wrong with that?" Minerva asked.

"Whatever you do girls, you must not let the prince know how clever you are. Men can't stand to be around smart women." I replied.

"Yes Mother." They said in unison.

Before I could get to Calliope, I yelled at Minerva for scratching herself. Its a nervous habit of hers but a flaw she must cover tonight. I forcefully push her hands down.

"And what are you going to say Calliope?" I spoke harshly.

"Well mother I've been working on my naturally infectious laughter." She said.

"Excuse me?" Minerva intervened.

"Tonight I'm going to laugh infectiously at all the prince's jokes." She said then laughed so hard she had a snorting fit.

Oh my gosh, why me these girls have issues.

"Remember girls we hide our flaws.........." I trailed off.

"Until after the wedding." They said in unison much to my pride.

"Shouldn't a man love you for who you are inspite of everything." Cinderella asked.

"How quaint. Tell me Cinderella what you say to capture the prince?" I asked walking towards her.

"I don't know." She answered.

"Of course you don't." I said smugly.

"But whatever I'd say, we would know in an instant we were meant for each other. Then he'd smile and kiss my hand." She replied towards my girls.

"That sounds so romantic." Minerva said.

"Say it again, Cinderella." Calliope agreed.

"Rubbish, this isn't about love. It's about marriage. Have I taught you girls nothing." I yelled slapping the couch.

The girls and I are on our way to the palace. Dressed fabulously I might add. They seemed nervous yet excited, the closer we got.

"Don't stress yourselves, the prince is sure to choose one of you. I honestly don't see why he wouldn't." I said earning a smile from them.

Moments later we arrived through the gates. It was simply beautiful. Exiting our carriage and ascending the stairs into the lush hallway, we were greeted by a few guards. They led us to the ballroom where we met Lionel.

Following him to the staircase where other young women were aligned. I stood behind my girls in the middle of the stairs. I could see the prince's face as he waited for the dancing to begin. He seemed bored with the woman next to him. A very promising sign.

I of course will not be dancing with him. I have my eyes set on Lionel. He's not much to look at physically but mama has to have fun tonight as well. Besides he lives here in the palace, as a servant no less but still its better than nothing. I was used to being rich. Our home was beautiful and grand but no palace. I really needed to get of there. It reminds me so much of my late husband.

Hopefully my girls don't screw up tonight.

Prince Christopher POV

As more young women arrive, I become even more bored. I honestly want to get this over with. The music starts I begin the first dance with her.

After a few minutes I raised my hand for the next one. Lionel led her away as her face held disappointment. The second one looked at me with lust filled eyes. I repeated my actions with each girl. In the middle of dancing with one I heard.

"I want a chance at him!"

That's what I meant when I said didn't want to do this again. I'm a person not a prize to be won. That's honestly annoying.

We finally get down to the girl who yelled previously. She recited her poem after lying about scratching herself. She's strong but definitely not my type. I signal for my guards to remove her from my body. Next I'm guessing is her sister, who will not stop laughing. I didn't even say anything funny. She starts snorting like a pig and it just becomes to much. Lionel pulls her away from after taking an elbow to the head.

I dance with more girls and send them away after a few minutes. Each one staring dreamily at me. I get that I'm handsome but seriously stop. I'm sure my face holds annoyance and frustration. Is there one girl who doesn't just want me because I'm a prince?

I honestly blame Mother for this. I just need to get through this ball. I want to find the woman I met in the village. She was perfect. Down to earth and kind. Exceptionally beautiful, like she descended from the clouds. That's the kind of woman I want as my wife. If only I remembered her name, this would be so much easier to accomplish. It was definitely unique in the way she explained it. I wonder if she is here tonight. If she was I could ask her name again. I should probably be paying attention to these girls instead of getting lost in my thoughts but they are boring. Nothing but flirty gestures and lustful eyes. Not to mention the occasional groping. Its very inappropriate and makes them look like whores. Grace and poise ladies, let's act with sophistication please.

Lionel arrives with another young woman and I continue to think completely ignoring her presence. I just want this night to be over already. Smiling politely as she is wisked away, I look towards the stairs to see only 50 girls left. For that I am thankful.