Chapter 7

Electra wasn't sure about what she could do for a job. She thought that her ability to understand people  would help her if she was to work as a sales woman. She went to multiple interviews with no luck. All of them demanded experience. She felt dejected.

She was turning back from another job interview, when she noticed that a strange man was following her. She stopped in front of a display window and pretended to be interesting in the....paintings.  She saw the man, on the glass reflection, passing her by. He walked slowly and pretended to talk on his cell phone.

Electra went in the shop to ascertain whether the man would keep following her. The little bell on the top of the door alerted the middle aged  lady  who was probably the owner.

"Hello. May i have a look around please?" Electra pretended to be interested in the paintings.

 "Yes of course. Take your time."The lady came close to her. She had grey hair and she wore glasses. She beamed at her. Electra liked her.

She started studying the paintings. One of them made her stop. The place on the painting was Utopia. It was the waterfall. They used to go there with the school. She pretended  she was interested in  the  painting and turned to the lady who in the meantime went to sit back at her desk.

"What a nice landscape! "said.

"It is one of my favorite too"

"Do you know where is this place?" Who made this? was the question she wanted to ask,  but didn't want to alert the woman, if she was charismatic or shadow.

She had already found out that the new power she got was the shield. When she met Kevin the day after that night, he looked at her puzzled. When she thought  ' I love you. You are the man for me' trying to test him, his face expression didn't change at all. He couldn't listen her. Then she wanted to try again 'Utopia is....'white sheet.  He kept speaking to Isidora. No he couldn't hear anything. Ares came by, in the evening. She made the same tests and the results were the same. She felt relieved, at last a useful power. Now she could protect herself . She didn't have to cover her thoughts any more.

The voice of the woman interrupted her thoughts.

"I don't know really. I bought it from a young lady. She said it was made from her imagination."

At the time the bell on the door tinkled and a man the same age as the woman, came in the shop.  "Helen, did anyone come for the job offer we made?"

When he came closer and saw Electra he apologized for interrupting them. He was also likeable.

Electra thought this could be fate. "Are you offering a job?" she asked.

"Yes, we need someone to help us. You see i am a painter. Most of these paintings are mine, but since George, that's my husband," the woman explained, "has to make a lot of travels for his work,  I need help. Do you know someone who needs to work. The money isn't much, but we have a studio where someone can stay thus saving money."

"Would you mind if i apply for the job? I also need a place stay".

The woman stared at her.

"I liked you the moment you stepped in, so it's o.k. When can you start? By the way i am Helen and this, as i already told you, is George ". She walked towards her husband "George, say hi to our new employee. Her name is ...?"

"Electra.I am Electra"

George stood up, extended his hand and said "Welcome Electra". When Electra smiled, George added "I like her."

She promised them that she would go the next morning with her things, since George was leaving for a long trip and didn't want Helen to be alone. The place to stay was a studio on the last floor of their house.

After that Electra walked out of the store. She looked around for the strange man but couldn't see him anywhere.

All the family was sad when they heard that Electra was about to leave. She didn't want to leave any traces behind, so she had to lie to them, that she would return back to her hometown, since she wasn't able to find a job. The lie made her feel guilty but she couldn't risk being found.

"I already booked the ticket for  tomorrow morning. I will send you back the money you spent for me, but nothing will be able to repay your kindness". She was going to miss this family.

"Since it is the last day you are with us, lets go to Kevin's party." Isidora's proposition gave her the chills. A party in which almost every guest would have special powers.

"I'd rather not. Tomorrow i am leaving early. Moreover i don't want anyone who know me, to feel sorry for me, because i failed to find a job and am going back" She was exaggerating but it was necessary. She didn't want  those who were after her, to know she was leaving this house, or where she was going.

After a lot of pleading from Isidora, Electra felt she had to fulfill her wish as a last gift to her.

Nick and John were waiting for the  girls in the hall, with Angel and Alex. When they appeared both men looked at them with admiration. Especially Electra, with her white, airy dress,  looked like a creature, that came out  from a fairy tale. Her big eyes looked at them and Nick felt his heart skip a beat.

The party  took place in the city's largest hotel, which was owned by Kevin's father.

When the elevator stopped at the floor that the party was held and the door opened, Nick offered his hand to Electra. Walking in the silver high heels wasn't an easy task for her.

In front of them was an archway made from marble, that they had to go through, to enter the party area.

Electra clasped Nick's hand. She wasn't comfortable with so many people around her. She was feeling tension in every cell of her body, like she entered a pool full of energy.

Ares and Kevin saw them the minute they entered. Kevin went to welcome them. He stood next to his father.

Electra, as she was approaching the man with the white hair next to Kevin, felt an invisible threat. Nick understood her hesitation to walk and thinking that she felt shy, he caressed her hand on his arm, to give her strength.

The look on this mans face, gave her the chills. His prying eyes were on her since they came in. Kevin made the introductions.

Peter felt the energy flowing from  Electra's hand. She already had that amount from energy in her although the process of acquiring her powers wasn't complete. He could sense it. He glanced at his son meaningfully. He was right. She was the one.

During the night Electra danced with Nick several times. Only with him did she feel safe.She felt Ares's eyes on her all the time but he didn't ask her to dance, not even once. Kevin as the host of the party had to mingle with the guests.

Another dance with Nick finished and they went back to their table. Ares was there with Isidora. She seemed very pleased with his company.

Suddenly Electra felt she needed to be alone. Her entire body felt like it was on fire. 'Not again' she thought . She left her glass on the table and whispered: 

"Excuse me".  She felt her eyes starting glowing  and she tried to escape to the WC. She put her head down so no one  would notice her eyes.

Ares saw her and understood what was happening. He searched with his eyes to see if Kevin had seen her. Thankfully he was in the middle of a circle of people. Then he looked for his uncle. He wasn't  anywhere.