Chapter 11

Electra couldn't think of anything else but his warm lips on hers. Overwhelming feelings  flooded her heart when Ares kissed her. Suddenly she felt her eyes glowing. She pulled herself away from him and lowered her head, so that no one could see her in that condition....

Ares appeared in her vision smiling in a way she never saw him do. Happiness was in his eyes  when he was looking at a girl..? 

When the vision ended Electra closed her eyes until she felt that everything was back to normal. Ares was patiently waiting for her to open her eyes. He knew what was happening. Often when a charismatic got upset, some of their powers were triggered.

Electra looked at him. Her eyes were back to normal but she was looking at him accusingly

"I saw a piece of your life. You were with a girl and you were very happy. Why are you here with me? Where is she ? "

"She was a charismatic too. Her name was Sandra. She was very important to me once. Long story short she wasn't what i thought she was. She was cooperating with the Shadows all along, trying to convince me to take their side. She was also trying to take information about charismatics, when i had my guard down. She was working on it, pretending to be my caring and loving girlfriend. The day she was discovered, was  the last day i saw her." He sounded bitter.

Electra knew how painful it felt to be betrayed by someone you love and trust. What she saw in her vision made her land on reality. She was carried away by her feelings and she didn't use her logic. It was as if everything around her was moving at the speed of light. She couldn't follow. Everyone around her except Helen and George, had the powers to manipulate reality and show her whatever they wanted. How could she have believed him that easily?

"Has it been long ?" She didn't know why she asked him that question. Obviously she cared about him more than she could admit.

"It  has been two years. Everything is in the past for me." Ares was trying to reassure her but he could see the suspicion in her eyes. She couldn't trust him.

Outside the cafe the strange man who went to the store earlier was watching them, through the glass window. His cell phone  started ringing.

"Yes" his voice was cold and professional.

"Have you found her?"

"Yes." He reported what happened.

"Keep following her. I will tell you what you what you have to do later."

Peter put the phone on his desk and looked at Kevin:

"I know where she is. Ares is already there, with her. He seems to be romantically interested in her."

"What do you want me to do? She doesn't seem interested in me. I tried."

"We have to make a plan." Peter was determined to take Electra on their side. Kevin would be the person to do it.

"First we have to estrange her from everyone and at the same time remove her income in order to weaken her. She must feel that no one is worthy of her trust."

"She doesn't trust me either." Kevin said.

"We will fix that on the way. You will show her that you have changed. You will be around her all the time."

"Let's say that everything goes as you planned, what next?"

"If she has no one to lean on, she will have only you" Peter smiled content with his plan."I will have the strongest of us help you when you need to remove her shield."Every power of a charismatic could be restrained or rendered useless, depending on the amount of the power and the distance it is used from, by others to control it. 

Melina since the time she had to take Electra in Utopia, she was suffering  feelings of guilt. Now she was thinking it was time to reveal her sin to the people she hurt. There wasn't any point in hiding what happened anymore. Fate pushed Electra back to her parents anyway. She was shocked when she found out who the people who helped her were. They had the right to know that Electra was their missing child. She was very troubled to find the right way to talk to them. As soon as Electra forgave her she would find the courage to tell the truth.

Kevin went to the store where Electra was working. Electra turned her head and saw him. She was surprised.

"Hi ! Long time no see " Kevin said to her smiling.

"Hello Kevin. If i didn't know better i would say there was an  announcement in the newspapers today about where i am."

"Don't worry, our kind doesn't need these ways to get informed. How have you been?"

"I am fine. What brings you here?"

He put his hand on his chest in a comical way

"Now i am hurt . You didn't miss me at all?"

"Kevin this is my workplace can you please tell me how i can help you?" she tried to act strict.

"I want you to go out with me"

"Why?"

"Because  i have liked you since the first time i saw you. But you are prejudiced towards me. Has anyone said something about me?"

 "My opinion of you doesn't have anything to do with others. I prefer to judge people after i know them myself."

"OK then, give me a chance to show you who i am. After you finish with your job let me take you out"

Electra was feeling sorry for him. She didn't want to hurt him after all  he never tried to do something suspicious. He liked to talk about others but that was something a lot of people do. Ares warned her about him but Ares also had his own secrets.

Helen who finished her painting  came close to them. She heard the last sentence of Kevin's words and thinking of the emotional condition Electra was in earlier told her:

"Electra go with your friend. It will be good for you"

Electra thought a little about it and then said to Kevin:

"Let's go." If she couldn't hide from them she should try to know them better.

They went to a bar nearby.  She had an unexpectedly good time with Kevin. He was funny and caring, always trying to fulfill her needs. He didn't try to get in her thoughts not even once. When he was taking her home she realized that she had fun.

Ares was trying to call her  but she wasn't answering his calls. She was afraid that her feelings for him would make her vulnerable. Kevin kept coming every day to take her out. She started to like him as a friend. Ares came to find her  once but she didn't want to speak to him. She asked him to keep his distance. He already heard that Kevin was seeing her everyday and felt hurt but he didn't want to press her. He thought that in time she would understand what Kevin was trying to do.

One day he went to find his cousin:

"What are you planning to do with Electra?" he was angry.

"I am not trying to do something. Electra and i have a good relationship."

"I know that with you, nothing is that simple. Leave Electra alone. Don't hurt her"

"I don't have the intention of doing something like that. I really  like her. She is one of a kind and i don't mean her charismatic side."

"That is the reason i am telling you to leave her. Even if do not intend to hurt her, do you believe that your father will act the same way?"

"I will take care of my father, you don't have to worry."

When Ares left, Kevin knew that everything he said was true. He never met a girl as pure and open-hearted as Electra again. Although his behavior was an act at the beginning, as time went by he was affected by her and now nothing was an act anymore. He had to hide that from his father though. Ares was right, his father was unpredictable.