36

Week 5:

We all wheeled our suitcases through the airport. There was a large group of us, all grasping our plane tickets tight in our hands. I bid goodbye to Tyler, Joey and Ryan,

"Thanks for your help mate," Joe and Tyler shared an awkward man hug,

"No prob boo, anything for a friend," he grinned. I kissed them all on the cheek before I met with the others at the gate. We handed the man at the counter our tickets and boarded our flight. I had a seat next to Joe on the plane. I got my laptop out and put my headphones in. He put in a double socket and connected his too. I flicked through my downloaded movies,

"Frozen?" I asked. He shook his head,

"No way, Chipmunks," he suggested. I didn't have many movies and most were musicals so it was hard to make a decision for both of us to agree on.

"What about Tangled?" I countered. I had watched the Chipmunks so many times that I really didn't want to watch it again.

"What movie is that?" he asked. I smirked and pressed play. We watched it together and at some parts he laughed. At others he cried and towards the end he gasped,

"No she can't do that, how dare she stay Eugene," he cried. The people on the plane looked at him funnily and I giggled. He almost started crying as Rapunzel sat atop Eugene and he smiled happily as she finally met her parents. The movie had finished and we still weren't back at Perth. I had started yawning as the day grew later, "Sleep," he ordered.

I rested on his shoulder and let my eyes close with fatigue as he stroked my locks. I could hear the others cooing but I took no notice; I was too tired to care.

"Ada, wake up," Joe nudged me. I sat up and wiped at my eyes. The plane as I had just woken up. Joe nudged me again. I got up this time and grabbed my carry-on luggage from the compartment above our seats. We walked through the plane and wandered around the airport. Zoe and Alfie both left together. Oli and Caspar decided to get some food so Joe and I sat to wait for them.

"I've been to this airport so much that I could walk around blindfolded," I joked. Joe laughed,

"That is so true but you won't have to walk around this place blindfolded," I nodded. This was true but it was unsettling how well I knew the place considering it wasn't even my home town airport. We sat for a while as Oli and Caspar came back with a few hot chips. We ate together and waited for Zoe and Alfie.

"Hey, we're back," Zoe greeted us. They explained where they had been, "We were looking out for mum and Nikki," she smiled. I was a little bit worried. Surely my mum would be waiting for me to get back. Or at least Tracey would be there to make sure her children were safe.

"Were they there?" I asked. I hoped for the best but,

"No, they aren't. We'll have to walk home," Alfie said. I grabbed my bags and so did the others. Alfie and Zoe held each other's hands. We all trudged down the road. I wheeled my bags through the front door. None of the adults were home.

"Where have they all gone? It's like the adults don't exist these holidays!" Oli called. We all agreed and decided to go our separate ways. Oli and Caspar both walked home. Zoe kissed Alfie goodbye and he left. She went upstairs to her room. Joe and I were left alone.

"So," Joe said awkwardly. I nodded,

"A movie?" I asked. He gave me a side glance so I sat down next to him. He put on a random movie and we both huddled together on the couch. It was a comedy by Adam Sandler.

"When are you going home?" Joe suddenly asked.

"My school term starts on January 30th," I answered, "I'll miss the first day though," he added in up in his head,

"Really? Only eleven days?"