42

Week 6:

I heard his answer and I couldn't say anything,

"I have to go," I finally said. Joe didn't reply. Instead, he stood up and left the room. I could tell he was hurt. That he didn't want me to go. That he couldn't tell me why. I sat silently. I just had to open my mouth and counteract his wish, "Good job," I scolded myself.

Of course I had to say the one thing that would trigger Joe's silence and turn him against me. Of course I had to tell him that I would go. It was the inevitable truth that I couldn't hide. I climbed under the soft covers of my bedroom sheets and let my eyes shut tight. It took a while but finally I fell into a state of light unconsciousness. I wouldn't call it sleep but rather a way to settle my fatigue.

Early morning light broke this blissful rest and again I woke to face a day of silence. I decided to go downstairs and face whatever was coming my way. Joe sat at the table with a bowl of cereal.

"Morning Joe," I smiled to him. He nodded his head and gave me a small wave, "I'm really sorry but if I'm going to go, I would like me to go on speaking terms," I pointed out. I was just suggesting to him without raising my voice, I didn't want to scare him away. He nodded his head again. I sat across from him.

"I am talking to you, I just had my mouth full," he gave me a side smile.

"Oh thank god," I clutched at my chest dramatically. We laughed a little and I rested my head in my palm, "So you aren't mad that I have to go?" I asked.

"I'm not mad, I know you have to go," his eyes drooped so I changed the subject,

"What are we doing today?" I asked, genuinely curious. Joe shrugged and shoved another spoonful into his mouth. I went to the fridge and grabbed the cartoon of juice. I poured myself a glass and sat back down with Joe. In return, he got up and rinsed out his bowl. Once we'd finished our light meals, I looked back and him, "Any clue what we're doing today?"

"Well it is Oli's birthday tomorrow so we could go shopping for his present," he suggested.

"I didn't know that," I went upstairs to my room and grabbed my purse. We both left the house and walked to the store. We went from store to store window shopping for anything that would be interesting for Oli. I wandered into the game store, through multiples isles of clothes and I even went to some stores I had never even entered before,

"Do you think he'd like to get a piercing?" Joe asked me. I shook my head,

"Maybe we should just get him a gift card; he's really hard to shop for," this time Joe shook his head,

"Come on, we have to at least try and find something unique," he said with a spring in his step. I laughed at his childishness and continued walking around,

"We have tried, for a few hours," I gave him a sideways glance as we entered JB Hifi, "Oh I have an idea," I ran to the back of the store. I went through the many isles, through different displays and searched very nook and cranny,

"What is it?" Joe asked as he followed close on my heels. I rounded corners and went to various shop assistants.

"This," I held it up triumphantly. Joe looked at it in awe, "It's a bit much but it'll help him with recording and we can split the price. Does fifty dollars each sound like a good price?" I asked. He nodded vigorously and we both made a beeline for the counter. We handed over the money and left with his present in a bag.

"He'll love this, he's wanted one for ever," Joe gushed as we left the store. I jumped over to the decorating stall that had been set up. We both decided on the perfect wrapping paper. A bright yellow background with several microphones, head phones and cameras spread across was our decision. I asked the lady to add a red bow and we both exited the store. I was exhausted and relieved.

"So what are we doing for his birthday?"

ws.com/Va