Lost Time is Never Found

She didn’t care about the tears anymore and she didn’t care who saw. She had no reason to care any more. The barrier she had built up all her life had finally been defeated and let loose the tears. There was nothing but raw emotion in her eyes, she was hurt and dejected and there was nothing she could do to level it out.

She gazed up at Toby as the burning tears ran down her red cheeks. He hadn’t made a move towards her. He simply tightened his jaw and dropped his head, he didn’t make any effort to comfort her. The rest of the team waited with growing anticipation. He was supposed to rush forward and swing her up in his arms and hold her tight, spouting out how much he loved her and how much he missed her, but he didn’t. He stood there, looking just as helpless as Sage. They were both hurting and in that moment, he wasn’t Toby anymore, he wasn’t the man that anyone there had ever known.

Oscar stood to his feet and moved behind Sage, he wanted to make as much distance between him and Cabe as he could. When Cabe noticed him, he stepped forward with the cuffs in hand, but Sage cut him off.

"No. You can't!" She growled out. Baring her teeth as she suppressed a sob and another surge of tears from escaping.

"Sage I have to." Cabe reached out a hand to her shoulder while speaking in a calm voice.

She was quick to swat his hand away with a grimace. She spun around to face Oscar, she didn’t want him to go just yet. He may have done bad things and he did hurt her, but Sage didn’t forget all the good things he did for her either. He reached out a hand to her shoulder, much like Cabe had done, and gave her a sad smile.

"It's alright kid," he stepped around her, slowly making his way towards Cabe. Before he could get far, Sage latched onto his arm and tried pulling him back towards her.

"No! You can't leave me yet! You saved me, you didn’t break any of your promises, you always told me the truth! You don’t deser-” Sage was cut off by him when he pushed her off of him with a harsh shove. He didn’t bother concealing the anger in his voice as he spoke either.

"No! I am a bad man! You can’t trust me, I’ll only hurt you.” He glared at her, but there was no bite behind it. Sage glared back at him, she wasn’t fazed by his harsh demeanor.

“You’ve hurt me, and others yes, but it was never willingly,” she argued. Oscar dropped his gaze to the ground, shaking his head and pressing his palms to his face.

"You need to stop. You know you're not thinking straight." He growled out at her. It wasn’t that difficult for him to appear menacing, but of course Sage wasn’t buying any of it. She was still putting up a fight. She was just about to bark out a harsh remark when Toby’s sharp voice broke through with a demanding tone.

“Stop it Sage.” His head was no longer dropped to the ground, but his hands were still dug deeply in his pockets.  Sage turned his way to look at him with ag glare. She crossed her arms over her chest.

"Oh really. Give me a good reason then." She scowled. Any trace of the old tears were gone. Her eyes were no longer expressing the betrayal she had felt, it was now replaced by her irritation and anger.

Toby maintained eye contact for a few measly seconds before dropping his gaze back to the floor. He couldn’t watch her looking at him like that. He could see the all encasing pain behind the anger, she was suffering because of him and he didn’t know how to fix it. He lifted a hand to rub at the back of his neck and he glanced around the at the stone walls encasing them in the cramped hallway. He didn’t have an answer to give her, not when she was watching him like that.

While Sage was distracted Oscar had slipped past Sage and made it close enough to Cabe for him to slap the metal cuffs around his wrists. It wasn’t an unfamiliar feeling to him. When Sage heard the ‘click’ of the cuffs she her entire face dropped and she spun around.