Chapter Twelve

C H A P T E R | T W E L V E

"What's happening here?"

Conor, Josh and I turned to look at the front door from our seats on the couch. We had ended up watching the recent football game between Manchester United and Arsenal as we waited for people to show. So far, the only person that has showed up was Joe.

"Arielle is throwing a party," Josh said with a smile. Joe left his stuff by the door and made his way to sit on the couch. The only free space being next to me. He sat down, stretching his arm around the back of the couch. His knee touched mine and it sent a small shot of electricity through me. I jolted and moved my leg, hoping he didn't notice that.

However, Conor did. He gave me a weird look but I quickly avoided his eyes.

"Ah, one of your infamous parties," Joe uttered with a smirk. Joe loved my parties when we were together. He lived for them. He particularly loved the end of the night...if you know what I mean, wink, wink.

"You can come if you want, I mean, you are staying here for the time being, I wouldn't want to make you leave for the night," I told him. Joe gave me a kind smile and I melted inside. It's been so long since I've seen that smile. I miss it. I miss him.

****

It was 8:30PM and people had started to show up. The flat was packed already and the party has only been in play for half an hour! There was people here that I knew but a lot of faces were unfamiliar to me. The more, the merrier!

I opened the door when I heard a knock and Jack's smiling face greeted me on the other side. "Hey, Jack," I greeted, giving him a quick hug and ushering him into the house.

"Arielle! It's been so long!" He exclaimed over the music, putting his arm around my shoulder as we walked to the drinks table.

"I saw you the other day," I said with a laugh as I poured myself and Jack a drink. I decided to give us both a normal vodka and coke. I handed him his drink and he smiled, thanking me.

"The other day was too long ago, I missed you," he replied and I blushed. Jack and I weren't as close as we could be. I'm surprised he's saying he missed me. However, Jack has been so flirty with me recently. This is probably another flirty technique. I didn't mind the flirting, though, I mean, I may or may not occasionally flirt back. Hey, it's only harmless fun! It's not like we like each other.

Before I could reply to him, the door rang again. I excused myself and went to open the door.

Upon opening, Zoe and Alfie's smiling faces greeted me.

"Zalfie! My favourite couple! I haven't seen you in months!" I exclaimed, hugging Alfie and then hugging Zoe. Zoe responded by giving me a bone-crushing hug. "Okay, okay, Zo, you're killing my oxygen," I gasped out.

"Sorry, I just missed you so much. I haven't seen you since, you know." She pulled away from the hug and gave me a sad smile. She was talking about since me and Joe broke up. Before Joe and I broke up, we always went down to Brighton to see Zalfie. Zoe was, of course, Joe's sister, but also, one of my best friends. We clicked straight away when Joe first introduced us. Hell, we clicked faster than Joe and I did! But, when we broke up, Joe went down to Brighton to stay with them for a bit, and I couldn't really go visit because I was so angry at Joe. I couldn't even face the man. Anything associated with him got me angry. Upset. Disappointed.

I'm surprised I no longer have that much hatred towards Joe. I mean, when he first showed up at my doorstep, I was beyond pissed. I couldn't believe he had the decency to show up. After everything that happened!