The Friend

The tears just kept coming, but they fell silently. I couldn't stop them, but at least I didn't make noises that sounded like a dying whale anymore.

Nothing will be the same. I'll never be this young, not-a-care-in-the-world spirit anymore. I'll never be able to touch anyone when I'm sad and need comfort the most. I'll never be able to get any sleep at night because I'm afraid I might kill more people.

Oh god. What if Bucky was in the room when I had that nightmare?

I was obviously able to do damage without thinking about it. That was evident from the remains of broken glass across the room and the crushed pod from Bruce's experiments.

What if I kill someone in my dream and accidentally harm someone in real life?

The thought made my stomach drop.

More footsteps approached the room. My heart started thumping rapidly. Bucky heard them too and stood up, protecting me behind him.

Steve and Tony ran into the room and up the stairs towards Bucky. I could only see between Bucky's legs as I remained on the floor of the hallway. Steve and Tony rushed up the stairs and Bucky stood guard.

"What happened Bucky? Is Darby okay? Where is she?" Steve inquired, obviously not seeing the sad lump on the floor under Bucky that was I.

"We heard screaming," Tony gestured.

"I know. Darby had a nightmare. She is a little shook up, but she's okay."

No I wasn't.

'Steve, I know you can hear me, please go away.'

"Darby? I can't see you," Steve said, trying to look over Bucky's shoulder and into my room in order to find my face.

'Down here Steve.'

Steve's eyebrows furrowed and he squatted down to his knees.

I wiped my cheeks and tried to force as much as a grin as I could.

'You can go Steve, it was just a dream.'

"How are you doing that?" Steve asked, crouching lower, now looking completely under Bucky's legs.

'There's a lot of things I can do. That's what I'm afraid of.'

Steve looked down and pursed his lips.

'Don't be afraid. We just need you to be okay.'

Tony and Bucky stood silently as Steve and I seemed to just stare at each other. Tony gave Bucky a confused look and Bucky just shook his head. He knew what was going on from the whole thighs joke I told before.

I started to sob again and it was almost embarrassing.

"You guys should go, she doesn't exactly want to talk right now. I'll make sure to let you know when she's ready," Bucky explained.

Steve gave me one last look and stood back up, out of my sight.

"I knew we shouldn't have brought her here," Tony stated, glaring at Steve and Bucky.

I felt my face heat up in anger or sadness, I couldn't differentiate between the two anymore. I sniffled and covered my face. I felt like a baby crying this much but I couldn't help it. I wish I could stop it, but that's what makes you human, right?

Bucky flinched and stepped forward towards Tony. Stark pulled back, scared almost of Bucky. He wasn't lying when he said the others were cautious around him.

"Don't ever say that. She would have died out there and she does not deserve that. This is Hydra's fault, not hers. She is innocent and scared, and I won't let arrogant airheads like you tell her any different," Bucky pushed a finger at Tony and Tony backed up.

Steve glared at Tony, almost nonverbally agreeing with Bucky. Steve nodded at Buck and led himself out of the room, Stark following closely behind like a puppy with its tail between its legs.

Bucky turned on his heels and sat down beside me again, this time a little closer.

"Don't listen to Tony, he's a crapwad," Bucky reassured.

I giggled at Bucky's use of the word 'crapwad' and let a small laugh slip out of my mouth. He glanced at me, surprised at my childish humor. He smiled and turned his head back around.

I swiped my hand across my face and breathed in slowly.

"I think I'm done crying. Sorry about bawling like a baby. I didn't know it was possible to create that many tears that fast," I giggled.

"Don't apologize. Hydra is pure evil and leave scars wherever they go," he sighed.

"What about you? Did they leave some sort of mark on you?" I asked, rotating my head in his direction.

"You could say that," he hummed.

"Are you ever going to tell me what happened?" I asked curiously.

"I don't know. How much time do you have?" he solemnly expressed.

"Well, assuming that we are friends now," I sniffled, "I'm gonna say I have plenty."

A smile crept across his face and he bobbed his head.  He repeated the words in his head and my face felt hot.

'Friends.'