The Truth

I pulled my face away from the couch, where I had fallen asleep after playing in the snow. It was freezing outside, so when I got back to the warm fireplace of our room, I felt an involuntary urge to snuggle up and nap.

Bucky's deep chuckle was echoing from the leather seat in the corner. He was facing the television which was playing season four of Friends. A cup of hot chocolate was waiting on the coffee table beside me, which pulled me up from my lying position. He kept his eyes glue to the screen, his face lighting up each time he smiled. I leaned forward and grasped the mug in front of me, then proceeded to sip from it.

"Finally you're awake. You must have been pretty comfy," he snickered.

I shook my head at him and smiled. I stood up and walked to the kitchen, fluffing Bucky's hair as I walked by. I checked the iron man magnet on the fridge which had a built-in clock. It was almost one in the afternoon already.

"Have you eaten lunch yet?" I called out.

"Nah, I snacked on a few chips, but not a meal," he answered.

"Do you want to order pizza or something? Maybe we can ask Steve or someone else if they wanna eat with us," I suggested.

"Um, I don't know. Pizza sounds fine, but I think everyone else is kind of busy," he stuttered.

"What are you talking about? I am at every meeting and I know that no one has a mission-"

"I know nobody has a mission, but they are busy. Busy here," he mumbled.

"Bucky why are you being so weird?"

"I'm not," he stayed facing away from me.

I flicked my wrist and spun his recliner around. I furrowed my brows and stared him in the eye.

"Okay, okay. Darby, listen to me. I need you to stay calm okay?" he stood up and walked towards me, trying to keep a reassuring tone.

"Nothing good every starts with someone saying to stay calm," I shuttered.

"I know, I know," he came closer to me and held both my hands. "I need you to remember that I'll be here for you, everyone will."

"Bucky, you're kind of freaking me out. Will you just tell me-"

"It's you parents, Darby," he uttered. "It's your parents," his face and hands tensing up.

My parents? Were they still missing? Were they back at home?

Were they...were they here?

"Darby, please sit before I tell you anything else," he told, pulling me into a crisscross position on the floor next to him.

My hands were feeling sweaty and my face grew hot. I pursed my lips and waited.

Whatever he was going to tell me was either going to make me ecstatic, or blow up in my face. The latter being quite literal, in fact.

"Darby," he locked his eyes into mine. He reached out and stroked the strands of hair that fell in front of my shoulder. His jaw clenched and I could feel the extreme tension and anxiety in his mind.

"Your parents are dead."