Chapter 3

Paige's POV

I hadn't been to school in days. It was a good thing that Elizabeth had already completed her MBA and my mom Courtney Williams was a home maker. We're at the cementery. All our relatives are there next to us and are trying to console us with their soothing words. But none of those words can be heard. All I could think of was my dad struggling to breath in ICU.

If I was in his place he would done anything to save me. He would have made sure I lived. But I was helpless! I couldn't do anything to save him! I just let him die!

I just close my eyes and try to think it the other way round. I wake up from my sleep on the chairs in the hospital and I see my mom and sister rushing into the ICU. I rush behind them to see my dad looking at us and smiling. The doctor saying it was a miracle and he was out of danger. We all hug him and cry. He hugs us back and says he was okay and there was nothing to worry. A smile flashes on my face when I think of it. I'm interrupted by my cousin Stacey who hugs me starts crying. I hug her back and cry. "Paige don't worry we're all there for you guys! Don't cry! We'll not let you down" she says. I just nod my head looking at my feet.

What was I thinking about? Miracle? God? Does he even exist? Why on the whole goddamn earth he had to take my dad? Why destroy the happiness of our family? No! I don't think there is any god. If he was there also he was heartless. I made up my mind not to worship any idols anymore who took my dad, who was everything to me.

After the funeral we all head back home. Our house is filled with people. All of them are in black. I myself am wearing a black dress. All are trying to put the stuff back in place which was left unattended since Sunday. I sit quietly in one corner of the sofa with my legs folded looking at my hands. I chose not to tell any of my friends because I had no words to speak. I had barely spoken since that day. This is not me. I was the one who kept on blabbering. It was as if someone had taken away my vocal chords. No sound came out of my mouth.

After a while few of our relatives left but my cousin Stacey stayed back. She was always around me and my sister making sure we got everything we wanted. I decided to get some sleep and headed upstairs. Stacey was also there with me. I was crying and she was holding me. We drifted to sleep. I wanted to sleep so bad to forget all these things going on around me. It was the only was I could forget it.

A honking sound of a car wakes me up. I'm in the reality again. I look at the clock at it was still 4 in the morning. My subconscious says You can't wake up! This is not a dream! I just try to push those thoughts away and head outside my room. One of the room door was slightly open and I see my sister on phone. As I was about to walk away I hear her saying "Yeah I know he never loved me!" I stop dead on my track and head back to listen what she was saying. She continues "I'm glad that he isn't around anymore Rose! He always loved my sister the most. He never loved me. At least now I can be happy".

I'm just completely shocked. Rose was her friend. She thinks it was good to lose dad? I thought of going inside the room and giving her one tight slap but somehow I managed to go down and I made myself to the kitchen. I poured some water into the glass and started thinking of what she was saying again. How could she think like that! He loved her too! And moreover he was her dad! How could someone be so selfish! It was that day I started hating her. We weren't on the same page. I put back the glass and go to sleep again.

I somehow manage to call up and tell about my dad to my close friend Ella. She was shocked. "Babe I don't know what to say I'm really sorry" she says. I remain quite. "Baby please don't cry! Why didn't you tell me?" She asks.

"It all happened so soon Ella I did not know what was going on around me! I just can't digest the fact that he isn't around me anymore" I sob.

"Aww baby common be strong don't cry! I'm always there with you no matter what. Don't worry okay?" She says. I just nod my head. "When are you coming back to school?" She asks me.

I wipe my tears "I don't know! I'm not strong enough to forget it and listen to the classes. But I don't want to miss my classes too. I'll come tomorrow" I inform her.

"Don't worry baby. You come to school I'll make sure you'll be fine. You can take all the notes you've missed from me. I'll speak to the teachers about your absence in the class. You just have to come and sit in the class. I'll make sure everything is fine" she says.

I was great full to have such a friend. "Thank you Ella. It means a lot to me" I say and disconnect the call. I was here completely broken but my mom was trying to stay strong for me and my sister. She was hurt inside but she wasn't showing it thinking that we would breakdown. But she never knew what my sister was thinking! If she did she would have slapped her too!

The next day I go to school. All my friends and teachers are consoling me. I just stay quite and ignore whatever they had to say. They don't know what I'm going through. Everyone can say stuff but they would get to know what I was going through if they lost their loved ones!

Somehow I graduate my school with a good grade. Thanks to Ella who was always with me through my difficult times. I'll never forget her for this. Me and Ella together applied for same university's for our college. I badly wanted us to get into the same college but unfortunately we had been accepted in different colleges. I was just glad that we were still in Seattle and we could see each other whenever we wanted to.

She was sad too that we couldn't get into the same college. "You're gonna be fine right Paige?" She asks me. We're at a cafe having coffee so that we could speak to each other before parting ways. I would not see her daily anymore. Eventually she would get new friends and forget about me. I look up at her and say "Yeah I'll be fine Ella you don't worry. If I'm not I'll come to you. You're always there for me" I smile. She smiles back and we continue having our coffee.