Naruto returns to Konoha

~CHAPTER 11~

"How much longer Gaara?" I asked as my legs ached. I wasn't used to walking for three days straight, and not to mention the hunger, growing in the pit of my stomach.

"We should be there soon Kiyomi." Gaara answered, as he kept looking straight ahead.

Yesterday morning, we finally got out of the desert and began walking into the forest. At first there were few trees, and just paths of sod and grass, but later grew thicker into trees overflowing on either side of the path, along with long, green, and healthy grass.

"You are so out of shape Kiyomi." Naruto said as we kept running down the path.

"Maybe I'm just not used to running three days straight!" I said out of anger. Remember when I said I wasn't used to walking three days straight? Well I lied, we weren't walking, we were running. And let me tell you, I couldn't wait for Naruto to leave. I wasn't used to jumping from tree to tree so I told them I would rather run the whole way... That was obviously a mistake.

"At the speed we are going we should be able to see the village in a few minutes." Naruto explained as we kept running. I was shocked that Gaara could keep up with that huge gourd on his back. "It's not far now."

I was so glad we were almost there... But then I realized, it would take another three days to walk back to Suna, and I let out a sigh of disappointment. "What's wrong Kiyomi? Don't want me to leave so soon?" Naruto said as he turned his head to look at me.

"No!" I replied. "I just can't believe I have to run another three days back to Suna." I explained. "I actually can't wait for you to leave."

"Well, I like you too." I heard Naruto mutter under his breath.

For the rest of the mission, we were silent, and didn't say a word. Until we finally reached Konoha. We stopped running and slowly approached the entrance to the Hidden Leaf Village.

"Well Naruto, we were glad to escort you back to your village." Gaara told Naruto.

"Well, I could of made it back on my own, but.... I couldn't skip out on spending three days with my best friend Gaara....."

"Of the Desert." Gaara added.

"Yeah..." Naruto said growing red. "And Kiyomi, it was nice meeting you."

"I wish I could say the same about you...." I said as I placed a hand on Naruto's shoulder and looked to him with a sad face. He growled at me, and snorted as he shoved my hand away. "I was just kidding..."

"Well, it was nice seeing you two!" Naruto shouted as he began walking into the village.

Gaara and I stood there for a moment as we watched him. I then looked at Gaara. "How did you two meet?" I asked.

Gaara turned to me. And then back at the dark figure that was Naruto. "The chunin exams." Gaara answered. "We first actually talked in the hospital after the first part."

"Did you get hurt?" I asked as I grew sorry for Gaara.

"No." He said as he looked down at the ground. "I was there... Visiting someone." He said, but I could tell he was hiding something from me.

"Why? Were they special to you? Were they a friend?"

"No..." He said and paused for a moment. I could tell he was gonna tell me something he was trying to avoid. "I... Was going to kill the person." He said not daring to look up. "Naruto came in and stopped me. We weren't friends yet, but that was when we first really met."

"I'm sorry I brought it up Gaara." I said feeling bad for bringing back a shitty memory.

"No it's fine." Gaara said as he finally rose up his head a bit, slowly. "I needed to tell you... I'm glad I did." He said as he turned around. "Now come on, we have a long three days to get back to Suna."