.:1:.

"More soup Anne" Janet patted the little girls head, and she nodded.

"We otta get that voice box of yours working" she smiled, pouring more soup into the porcelain bowl.

The little girl motioned her fingers to say 'thank you' and Janet smiled.

Anne was 11 years old and mute. She's been in a few foster homes during her lifetime. Janet was the one friend she made other than Robbie, he was her older foster brother. The foster parents they had a year ago tore the family apart. The parents thought they wanted children, but they were not equipped to even handle their own problems let alone some one else's.

Yesterday Rose and Dallon got adopted. They spent 5 months in the home, while everyone else endured the long days that passed. For Anne it wasn't as bad because she didn't ever have to reply to questions that had no meaning. But she often felt nothing had meaning.

Janet was always there to take care of the kids, their most recent foster mom took all the kids in. Janet was like the best friend that everyone wished they could have. She's been there ever since  Anne could remember, and a life without her wasn't anything anyone could fathom.

After finishing her soup, Anne went on to wash her hands and brush her teeth.
"So it's bedtime already?" Robbie walked into the bathroom to grab his own toothbrush. "How was school today?" He asked her as they brushed in unison. Anne held a thumbs up and continued to clean her top teeth. "That's great" Robbie said with a mouthful of toothpaste, which made Anne laugh.

"Bed time everyone" they could hear their foster mom call from downstairs. "Now! You guys sleep now. I'm having people over and I don't want them to see you guys" they knew that when she spoke nothing good would come out of her mouth.

"But-" a little boy by the name of Patrick opened his mouth to complain. "But nothing. Sleep. Now" she said her final demand. Patrick trailed back up the stairs with his blanket in hand, and tears welling in his eyes. He was the youngest of the group, only 5 years old.

"It's ok Pat" Janet said taking him back into the room all of the kids shared. "I'll tell you a bedtime story" she tucked him in and sat at the foot of his bed.

"Janet" Robbie came into the room after brushing his teeth. She looked up to face him. "Yes" she said. "Pat isn't allowed to have anyone tell him bedtime stories. His
a-n.x-i-e-t-y keeps him up at night" Robbie spelled out the word because it was like a curse word to Patrick.

"Well alright then, maybe tomorrow night" Janet said, hoping Patrick would forget by then.

"Is Anne ok?" Janet asked Robbie. "Yeah she said her day was good" he smiled knowing the pain Anne went through everyday.

"Keep her safe Robbie. Adoption has been down lately. She's been here for so long, she's made this place her home. This is not a place anyone should call home" Janet wiped a tear that fell from her eye.

"I have her, she's safe with me. That's the only reason I'm still here"

****

"Tyler" Jenna said from the other line.

"I'm sorry Jen I'm just so tired, Josh kept me up all night with his tapping" Tyler replied to his wife, rubbing his eyes.

"I have some news, but I want to tell you face to face" Jenna cheered happily, while Tyler was almost asleep again.

"Sounds good, I can't wait to see you tomorrow. I hope the flight is good" he said.

"I'll see you tomorrow. Love you. And don't drink anymore Red Bull. I swear if I hear from Josh that you opened another can will come over there and-" her voice was so stern.

"Yeah love you too Jenna" Tyler cut her off and shut his phone.

"Josh you better stop tapping those drum sticks. It's bad enough that this bed is uncomfortable" Tyler yelled at his best friend.

"Sorry man, I'm just anxious. I keep overthinking, and my drum sticks are the only thing that will calm me down" he continued tapping, then looked to face a snoring Tyler.

"Goodnight to you too Baby boy" he smiled.

****
I'm really excited for this fic. This chapter was just a start, I promise everything will get better once it's all fallen into place. Thank you for reading. Stay alive |-\