Chapter 17: That Bipolar Son of A-

The rest of practice runs smoothly. There is no drama and no complaining. Just hard work. The girls work harder than ever, so Coach and I decide to let them off without sprinting. To say they are relieved is an understatement.

After everyone is changed and has left, Sadie, Macy, and I walk to Macy's car to go get Sam from school.

"I don't understand why that kid doesn't just ride the bus," Sadie says. "It's five fifteen right now, and he's still at school. We won't even get there to pick him up until at five thirty. What does he do there for that long?"

"Homework," I reply. "Sometimes he gets help from teachers, sometimes he reads, sometimes he gets ahead on his homework and projects. As far as I know, he doesn't serve detention, but I suppose it's possible."

Macy shakes her head. "I'm with Sadie on this one. I just don't understand why he would want to stay at school for that long. I mean, I get that he's really smart, but that still doesn't mean that he would want to stay after school for an hour and a half."

"I don't know," I shrug. "He just asks if I can pick him up instead of riding the bus, and I say yes."

"You're too soft on him," Sadie decides. "You should make him ride the bus to toughen him up."

I shake my head. "No thanks."

We sit in silence for a moment before Macy suddenly remembers something. "Ooh! Catherine, tell us about what happened with Aidan today!"

"Yes, tell!" Sadie agrees.

I sigh and launch into an account of what happened from when I left my locker to when I talked to them at practice. By the time I finish, we have pulled up at Sam's school.

"That's so weird," Macy replies.

"No kidding," says Sadie. "That bipolar son of a-"

"Hey, Sam," I loudly interrupt Sadie as Sam opens the car door. "How was school?"

He hops in the car and shuts the door before answering. "Good. I got and A on my math test and my science project, but I got an A- on my language arts test."

I nod. "That's good, Sam."

He shrugs. I try not to visibly do anything that shows how I feel about how he is about his grades. If Sam gets anything below a 92 it ticks him off. He is a really really smart kid and has a lot of goals in his life that are quite ambitious. I understand that his goals require him to get an A in everything, but I don't necessarily agree with his standards. I don't want him pushing himself too hard. Unfortunately, I don't always have the time to make sure he isn't working too hard. I try my best, but there are some things I just can't do.

By the time Macy drops Sam and I off at home, it's already six. My stomach grumbles as I unlock the front door and push it open.

"What do you want for dinner, Sam?" I ask, walking into the kitchen. I push open the pantry. "It looks like we have Mac n' Cheese, Mac n' Cheese, or Mac n' Cheese."

"I think I'll take some Mac n' Cheese," he replies in mock seriousness.

I nod with a smile. "Good choice." I grab the box of Mac n' Cheese off the shelf and begin to cook it. "I'll try and get to the store as soon as I can. Any requests?"

Sam sits down at the table. "I don't think so. Just say hi to Zoe for me."

Zoe is the owner of the grocery store's daughter. She is in the same grade as Sam, but she's home schooled, so he doesn't see her at school. I think Sam has a bit of a crush on her, but he won't admit to it. I definitely wouldn't be opposed to him having a crush on her. She's very nice and probably as smart as him. Not to mention that she's also really pretty.

I finish making dinner, and Sam grabs two bowls for me to pour the Mac n' Cheese into. As I split it evenly between the bowls Sam grabs forks and puts them on the table. We both sit down and eat a quiet dinner. After dinner, I start my homework and Sam showers. After a little while he comes in to say goodnight.

"Night, Catherine," I hear from the door.

I turn toward it. "Night, Sam. Love you."

"Love you, too," he replies and walks out, shutting the door behind him.

After a little bit longer of homework, I check the time. My clock reads 9:30. I yawn and decide that it's probably time that I go to bed. I pack up my things for school tomorrow and climb in bed, turning the knob on the lamp before lying down and closing my eyes. 

Just as I am about to fall asleep, I hear a loud thump. My hand fumbles to turn on my lamp in the dark. When I finally get the lamp on light floods the room revealing Tommy lying on the floor. I could have sworn that I shut my window. When I glance up at it, however, it's wide open.

"How-?

"Your window can be opened from the outside," he cuts me off, slurring his words.

"Tommy, are you-"

"Drunk?" he laughs. "Yep."

"Get out," I sigh. "I am really tired, and I really don't want to talk to the drunk you. The sober you is already frustrating enough."

He giggles! Giggles! Not even a laugh, an actual giggle. "You sure you don't want to hear my sober thoughts, Catey?"

I roll my eyes.

"You know, because of the saying that drunk words are sober thoughts?" he continues.

"Tommy, please leave." I point to the window.

He pouts, "Aww, someone's not fun."

"And someone's not sober," I say curtly. "Now get out."

He still doesn't move, so I stand up, grab my crutches, and crutch over to him. Tommy looks up at me from his spot on the ground, smiling like a lunatic. "Hi, Catey."

I take a deep breath. "If you are not off the ground and headed toward the window in five seconds I will hurt you."

Tommy laughs. "No you wouldn't. You're too nice."

"3...2...1," I put the end of my crutch on the palm of my hand and push down with all my strength.

He yelps. "Ouch!"

"Leave, Tommy," I tell him him.

He frowns, but gets off the ground anyway. Shakily, might I add. He stumbles to the window, and for a moment I'm afraid that he is going to fall out the window. I rush over to him, but he catches himself at the last moment.

"How did you even manage to get in here with how drunk you are?" I mumble.

Tommy turns and looks at me thoughtfully. "I don't know. But I do know that you're really pretty. Way prettier than Baylee Murr." With that he jumps out the window and lands safely in his own bedroom.

I shake my head at him and turn around to get back in bed. As I turn my light off again, I try not to think too much about the last thing he said to. To help me forget about it, I remind myself of the promise I made when we almost kissed. No crosses count.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey, guys!

So I'm sitting in my bed writing this and Find My iPhone goes off on my phone. I then got an email that it went off on my phone. Both of my parents are out of town so I doubt they did it, so I'm kinda freaking out. I guess it's probably someone in my house somehow using Find my iPhone so they can pinpoint my exact location in the house so they can kill me, but whatever.

Anyway, what do you think? I really like writing this chapter. It wasn't super serious, but it also wasn't not super serious. Does that make sense? I hope so.

Let me know what you think by commenting and voting. Even sharing this would be great!

Pray for me!!!

Thanks, guys!