Chapter 12: Whatever You Need Me to Be

True to his word, Tommy flies through my window after an hour. Well, technically he is four minutes late, but I guess I can let it slide this time.

"Hey," he says breathlessly once he is standing next to my desk where I was doing history homework.

"Hey," I reply finishing my paragraph. "How was the party?"

"I have no idea," he answers while taking a seat on my bed. "All I had to do was drop him off and leave."

"Oh," I say. I dramatically add a period to finish off my paragraph before swiveling around in my chair to face Tommy.

"So," he says.

"So," I mimic him.

"You seem happy."

My face darkens and I give him a pointed look, "Do I really?"

He merely shrugs. "Before I said that you looked no different than you have every day this week with the exception of last night."

I sigh.

"Maybe that's the problem," he adds.

I raise an eyebrow. "How could that possibly be the problem?"

"You let everyone think you're happy and that nothing bothers you. You keep everything bottled up inside. You, Catherine Spire, never show any emotion," he explains.

"So?" I challenge. "Showing emotion is showing weakness."

"Sometimes showing emotion means showing you care about more than soccer," Tommy points out.

"I care about more than soccer!" I exclaim.

"That's not how you seem to most people," he informs me.

"So?" I reply. "Why should I care what other people think?"

"To some degree, you shouldn't, but sometimes what people think of you can pay off in the long run," he says.

"I guess," I shrug.

We sit in silence after that. Both of us lost in our own thoughts, I guess. Finally, Tommy breaks the silence. "Why?"

"I'm sorry you'll need to be more specific," I reply sweetly, while he just glares at me. I know what he's talking about, but I'd rather not talk about it right this moment.

"I know that you know what I mean, Catherine," he says.

I sigh. "I don't know. Life is just hard, and I just couldn't take it anymore, I guess."

"Life isn't that hard," Tommy assures me. "It can be rough sometimes, but its always darkest before dawn, right? You'll get through it. I promise."

"You sound like you're a freaking psychologist or something," I chuckle lightly.

"I am whatever you need me to be," he replies earnestly.

"Thanks," I say. "You know that was super cheesy though, right?"

He smiles before glancing at the clock. Then his smile falls. I glance at the clock as well. It reads 9:07.

"I have to or my mother will go ballistic," he explains. "I have to visit my grandmother tomorrow, so I won't see you until Monday."

I nod and stand, as does he. Tommy walks toward my window before turning to say one last thing. "Remember, Catherine," he says. "I will be whatever you need me to be." And with that he jumps out the window.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hey, guys!

I'm sorry it's been so long, but I hurt my hand and I couldn't type very fast. That's also why this is so short. I'm gonna be out of town this weekend, so I don't know when I'll be able to update again. Again, I'm so so sorry it's been so long, and if you've stuck with me then thank you so much! It means the world to me!

Thanks, guys!