Chapter 18: D-Doctor?

I wake up the next morning to my alarm clock blaring Twenty-One Pilots at me. My hand fumbles around aimlessly trying to stop it. After a couple minutes, and the start of a new song, it finally stops, but not because of me.

"Isn't the point of an alarm clock to get you up at the time that you set it for?"

My eyes shoot open to see Tommy standing in my doorway, completely ready for school. That's when I realize that I'm late. I fling the covers off my body and hop out of bed. A moment too late I realize how bad of an idea this is. When I hit the ground my ankle flares up with pain, and I sink to the ground with tears streaming down my face and enough curse words coming out of my mouth to put a sailor to shame.

"You're ankle's broken," Tommy says unnecessarily. I glare at him through my watery eyes. He gets the message and walks over to help me up. However, help isn't the right word. He picks me up and sets me on my good foot. While doing so, he happens to look at my face. "You're black eye is gone, and so are most of your bruises. I think it's time we get you to a doctor."

"A-a real doctor?" I ask in hesitation while simultaneously picking out a pair of black Adidas sweatpants and a gray Nike hoodie.

"Yes, Catherine, a real doctor," he answers.

"I don't know, Tommy," I tell him, turning around. "Let me think about it while I get ready."

He doesn't answer and instead walks back into the hallway, shutting the door behind him. I don't think about going to the doctor. I think about how Tommy is standing at this moment. He was so drunk last night there is no way he doesn't have a major headache. Then I remember last night. Does he remember what he said? If he does, did he just dismiss it as something with no meaning because he was drunk?

I shake the thoughts out of my head reminding myself of my promise. Even if he did mean it, it wouldn't matter because I am not going to add guys to the list of things I need to constantly worry about. Instead, I finish changing and put my hair in a messy ponytail. I grab my crutches, my bag, and my phone and open my door. Tommy is still standing there.

"Did you think about it?" he asks.

I check my phone. It says 7:06. "Right now all I'm worried about is getting to school on time," I answer, starting down the stairs. "Where's Sam?"

"In the car," he answers. "Listen, Catherine, I really think you need to go to the doctor as soon as possible because if you don't get a cast then you're ankle won't heal correctly and you'll be worse. You need to call and schedule an appointment for today-"

"Today?" I cut him off. I open the front door and start for the car. "I can't today. I have a soccer game right after school."

Tommy opens the car door for me and I get in as gracefully as possible, still somehow managing to hit myself in the face with a crutch. Once I'm sitting down he shuts the door and jogs over to his door. He opens it and gets in. "What about during the school day?"

"That won't work because I can't be absent during the day if I want to go to the game," I argue.

"Not if you are excused for those absents," he points out. "If you get a note from your doctor the absences are excused and you can still go to the game."

I bite my lip. He's right. An excused absence doesn't go against me. I don't have anything to get me it of it now.

We pull up to Sam's school. He grabs his bag and gets out. "Go to the freaking doctor, Catherine," he tells me before shutting the door and walking toward the school."

Tommy doesn't go right away, so I look over at him. Big mistake. He is already looking at me, so I quickly avert my eyes. "The kid's right, Catherine. You need to go to the doctor. If you don't you may never be able to play soccer again."

I groan. That would make my mother so mad. She'd probably somehow twist it so that I'm at fault. "Fine. You'll have to drive me, though."

"Perfect," he grins. "Call now and try to make the appointment for fourth hour."

I don't even bother asking why. I just take out my phone and dial the doctor's office.

"Hello, this is AHC Doctor's Office, how may I help you?" A lady with a sickeningly sweet voice answers the phone. I roll my eyes, but bite back my remarks.

"Hi, I would like to place an appointment for today with Dr. Sanger," I answer.

"Ok. Does 11:30 work for you."

"That would be perfect."

"All right, and what's your name?"

"Catherine Spire."

"Ok, we'll see you then, Catherine."

"See you then." I hang up with a grimace.

"Did you make the appointment?" Tommy asks.

I take a deep breath. "Yeah, I did."

He pulls into the school parking lot and parks. I grab my stuff and get out of the car. He does the same. We start to walk toward the school. Tommy reaches the door before I do, and he holds it open while I crutch on in.

"How about we meet at the front office at 11:10?" I suggest.

He looks up at the ceiling as if he's doing calculations in his head. "Yeah, that should work."

The bell rings.

"Damn, I'm gonna be late," I mutter. "See you later, Tommy."

I start to crutch away, but I can hear him say 'bye' from somewhere behind me. The word makes me smile a bit, but I'm not sure why. Little butterflies erupt in my stomach. My smile turns into a frown. I remind myself over and over of my promise that no crosses count, but it doesn't help. By the time I get to class, I am forced to face the inevitable. I am falling for Tommy Arden. And I am falling hard and fast.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey, guys!

I was planning on writing a lot this weekend, but my great aunt and uncle got in a car accident last weekend and they both died. They were almost 90 and should not have been driving. They caused the accident (thankfully the other person wasn't hurt too bad). I didn't really know them so I don't really feel too sad. I'm going to their wakes and funerals this weekend, so I don't know how much time I'll have to write.

Anyway, I really like this chapter. My first ending paragraph only got me to 999 words, and I like to get at least 1000 every chapter so I had to rewrite it. But that's ok because I like this ending paragraph better. That's it. Let me know what you think in the comments or by voting (please!) or sharing.

Thanks, guys!