Chapter 24: No Way in Hell

The rest of the ride I'm silent. Sadie and Macy carry on a conversation about some pair of shoes they saw at some store when skipped school and went to the mall. The ride seems to only take thirty seconds, and before I know it we are parked and walking into H&M. H&M doesn't bother me too much. If I were to like shopping anywhere, it would be here.

Sadie and Macy are walking around squealing and showing each other things they've picked out. I kind of wander around aimlessly looking for things I might like. The only thing I find is a sweatshirt -looking thing that I might wear, but I leave it on the rack because in all honesty I probably wouldn't wear it.

After about ten minutes in the store Sadie and Macy come up to me with their arms full of clothes. They order me to the dressing rooms because half of the clothes are for me to try on. I raise my eyebrows at them.

"Just humor us, Catherine," Sadie sighs. "Please."

I groan, but follow them to the dressing rooms. Sadie and I go into rooms right next to each other, and Macy goes into one of the ones across from us. They drop clothes on the wall-chair-stool thing in the corner before going to their own rooms. The first item I pick up is the sweatshirt thing I was looking at. It's a cream color with the words 'stay positive' in the left corner. I sigh and try it on. It fits pretty well, and it's super comfortable.

"Come out and show us, Catherine!" Macy yells through the door.

I open the door and crutch out. There are two gasps.

"That is so cute on you!" says Sadie at the same time that Macy says, "You have to buy that!"

"I don't know," I answer. "I probably wouldn't ever wear it.

Sadie groans very loudly at that. "You can't just live in sweatpants and hoodies!"

"Says who?" I reply and turn around into the dressing room. Sadie groans again, and this time I even hear Macy pitch in. I roll my eyes and take the shirt off.

Much to Sadie's discontent, I decide to not try anything else on, and just give Sadie and Macy the best feedback that I can. After about an hour, they're ready to head somewhere else. Of course, that somewhere else is Macy's. The same thing happens. They pick out clothes for me and I go try them on. I decide to try everything on for Sadie's sake, though I do skip anything short-sleeved. The final item I pick up is a fancy dress.

"Why did you give me a dress?" I yell out to them.

"You're going to need it in a week," Sadie answers.

I pull open the door to see them leaning against the wall. "Excuse me?"

"You're going to need a dress in a week," Macy repeats.

"I got that," I reply. "I want to know why I will supposedly be needing a dress in a week."

"Homecoming," Sadie answers in a matter-of-fact tone.

"Homecoming," I state.

Macy smiles. "Yeah, you know. The dance people go to to celebrate our school and sports and stuff."

I roll my eyes at her. "Yeah, I know what Homecoming is, but why am I going to be needing a dress for it? I'm not even going."

At that, Sadie's mouth drops open as far as I have ever seen it drop open. She looks a bit like a snake dislocating it's jaw so it can eat. However, she quickly turns her look into one far more scary. Her eyes narrow, and her mouth falls into a frown. "You are going, and I don't want to hear one more word about it," she says quietly. "Now try on that dress."

I shut the door in her face, and lock it as quickly as possible. I love Sadie to death, but she can be even scarier than my mother sometimes. I pick up the dress and actually look at it. It's a midnight blue color, and it has long sleeves. It comes in a little tighter at the waist, but then poofs out slightly after that. There are lace designs on it, and it ends about mid-thigh. It's not the worst dress they could have picked. I put it on and open the dressing room door.

It's dead silent.

Sadie and Macy are just looking at me with shocked looks. I fidget nervously with my crutches for about a minute. I think about how ugly I must look for there to be such a long silence from them. They're typically quick to give feedback on what I have on. I begin to head back into the dressing room, but Macy stops me.

"Catherine, you look..."

"Amazing," Sadie finishes. "I mean, you look more than amazing. You look..."

"Gorgeous," Macy finishes this time.

I blush furiously. "Thanks, but I don't really look that good. I'm sure you guys would look so much prettier."

"No way," Sadie answers. "I doubt anybody would look better than you in that dress. I am dead serious, Catherine, you look stunning."

I blush again. "I'm gonna go change." I turn and crutch back into the dressing room and begin changing. I finish and crutch out. Sadie walks into what was my dressing room and brings out the dress.

"There is no way in hell you're not buying this," is all she says.

I roll my eyes but follow her to the cash register anyway. She puts the dress on the counter, and tell the lady working the register that I will definitely be buying it. The lady rings it up and tells me the total. I hand her the money, and she bags the dress in a fancy dress bag. Macy grabs it for me.

"Now we just need to find you some heels to go with the dress," Sadie smiles.

"No way. Not happening," I answer. Sadie opens her mouth to reply, but I stop her. "I have crutches. There is absolutely no way in hell that I will wear, much less buy, one heel. Not happening."

"Ugh, fine," she groans. "At least you're going."

She begins to walk toward the exit.

"We'll see," I mutter under my breath. Macy snorts, and Sadie whips around at the noise.

"What was that?"

"Nothing," I reply innocently. She frowns in suspicion but turns back around anyway. Macy starts quietly laughing and making fun of Sadie's face. I try to keep my laugh silent but fail miserably. By the time we get to the next store Macy and I are laughing hysterically and Sadie is muttering about needing new friends. This only makes Macy and I laugh harder.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey, guys!

I don't really have much to say. Wattpad is still doing it's weird freezing thing so there might be some typos throughout the chapter that I'm too annoyed to go back and fix.

Catherine's dress is at the top. I really really like that dress and wish I could have found it for my homecoming, but it's ok. I really really liked my homecoming dress. Also, does anyone else relate with Sadie at the end? I feel like all I do is complain about how I need new friends but never actually get them.

I mean, just kidding! I totally love my friends...

Anyway, sorry for being weird again. If you liked this story please comment and vote!

Thanks, guys!