Chapter 14: Language

"Spill," Tommy says as soon as we get in the car after school. I sigh and explain what happened at lunch. "That little bitch," he says once I finish.

"Watch the language," I reply as we pull into the parking lot of Sam's school. Sam hops in the car as soon as Tommy stops the car. "Hey, Sam. How was school?"

"Shitty," he replies.

Tommy laughs at the response. "I'm the one that's suppose to watch the language?"

I glare at him before turning to face Sam. "Don't use that kind of language. It's not fitting for a kid that is your age."

"But you say it all the time," he points out.

"Fair point," I reply. "Just don't use it when your around people that aren't my friends."

Sam shrugs. "Fair enough."

I just shake my head as we pull into the neighborhood. Tommy pulls into my driveway and helps me out of the car before pulling into his driveway. Sam and I walk into the house as my phone starts to ring. I look down to see that Mark is calling me. After the long trip up the stairs and into my room, I call him back. He picks up on the second ring.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Mark," I say. "Sorry I didn't answer at first, but you called when I was trying to get up my stairs. It isn't that easy with crutches."

He laughs. "Yeah, I imagine that would be pretty hard."

We are both silent for a moment.

"Why'd you call?" I ask.

"Oh yeah!" he exclaims and I laugh. "I was wondering if you could meet with my little sister today. The doctors don't think she has much time left." His voice drops lower at the last sentence.

"Of course," I say with some difficulty. Thinking about Ava being gone is difficult for me. I may not have known her that long, but no kid, especially not her, deserves to die. "When do you want to meet?"

"Does ten minutes work for you?" he asks.

"Yeah," I reply. "Can you pick me up, though? I can't really drive."

"Of course," he says. "Text me your address, and I'll be there in ten."

"All right," I answer and hang up. I text him my address and crutch into Sam's room to let him know. When I walk into his room he is playing video games. Typical boy. I clear my throat, and he looks up.

"What's up?" he asks, looking back down to his game.

"I'm gonna go out in about ten minutes. I should be home for dinner. "Are you good alone for an hour or two?" I ask.

"Yeah," Sam responds.

"Awesome," I say. I spin around to go out the door, but before I do I turn back to Sam. "You're a great brother, you know that?"

He looks back up from his game. "Thanks?"

"I mean it," I tell him. "You never question me, you always go with whatever I tell you, you are willing to do anything you can to make sure this house runs with only me in charge. You are the greatest brother anyone could ever ask for. I love you."

"I love you, too," he replies. "You're the best sister I could ever ask for. You try your best to raise me without having ever done it before, you always make sure I'm ok with something before you do it, and," he smiles, "you take a lot of shit for me."

I laugh at the last one. He stands up from his chair, walks over to me, and hugs me. I try my best to hug him back. After a second the doorbell rings. I step back. "I guess that's my cue."

He nods and goes back to his chair. "I love you, Catherine."

"Love you too, little bro," I reply, and begin the long descent down the stairs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hey, guys!

I know this is short, but I wanted to post a chapter in honor of my favorite frenemies birthday!

Drum roll please.................
It's Wing1t

Happy birthday ya mango! I hope this is one of your best and that each is better than the last. Love ya sometimes!

Sincerely,
Pineapple

That's it for now! In the next chapter please read the authors note because I will have something super important!

Thanks, guys!