Stealing kisses in a broken world

This isn't related to Juuzou at all, I just wanted to write it and I wanted you guys to read it. This means a lot to me which is why I didn't just publish it as a new story. I want this to be read. I know the good thing would be for me to write something happy, but I don't feel like I can do that right now. So I'm gonna do what most people have been doing this week. I hope you guys like it.

The sky was dark with grey clouds. The sun had been reduced to a small, bright dot, barely showing though the clouds. It looked like it would rain, but it hadn't rained in months. The streetlights cast a faded light on the pavement. A few cars zoomed by, though most were rusting in garages. The men in the cars wore suits with ties tied tight around their necks. The women wore tight dresses pulled far down and makeup that enhanced all the good and erased the bad. Most people were inside. They were probably too afraid to come out of their houses. It was after curfew after all. But she was walking on the pavement anyway. Her hands were dug deep into the pockets of her jacket. Her backpack bounced against her back with each step. The hood of her jacket was pulled up over her head. Her steps echoed through the empty streets. She could see faint lights behind the blinds of the worn down houses. It looked nothing like it did in the history books. Not the ones she had found at least. The censored ones didn't show what everything had been like before. She could hear the quiet chirping of birds in the distance. Luckily they couldn't be detained as easily as humans could. For some reason that gave her some reassurance, maybe even a bit of hope. She wasn't sure though. She hadn't felt hope since she had been a child. She glanced down at the watch on her necklace. She cursed quietly and started walking faster. She was late. It wasn't her fault though. Her parents had been fighting again. They didn't go to bed until it was almost eleven and then she still had to pack her stuff and get the money from her drawer. Her neighbors had almost seen her sneak out. The little kid they took care of saw her, but he understood when she put a finger to her lips. He wouldn't say anything. She could hear footsteps. She walked faster. Her dad would kill her if she got another arrest. And if they found out what she was doing, she probably wouldn't live much longer. She reached the destination a few minutes past twelve. It was officially her birthday. The rendezvous point was on the third floor of a building under construction. It was going to be another tower, or maybe a new office. She wasn't really sure. Whichever it was, this was the place they were supposed to meet this time. It changed every week. She had been doing this for a little more than two months. She threw her bag on the ground and sat down, crossing her legs and resting against one of the bare concrete walls. She closed her eyes and sighed. The sun had almost disappeared by then. Not that it made much of a difference. The only real thing was that they'd be harder to spot. That was probably why they always met at night. She jumped when she heard footsteps in front of her. But she relaxed when she saw who it was. Sarah walked over to where she sat with a grin. Her worn army boots patted lightly on the ground as she walked over, helping Katy up off the ground.
"You need to stop sneaking up on me." Katy grumbled, looking down at Sarah with a frown.
"You need to stop dropping your guard when you're waiting for me." She retorted with a smile. Katy sighed and nodded. Sarah stood up on her toes and kissed Katy's cheek, still smiling. Katy's cheeks turned a rosy pink.
"Did you bring it?" Sarah asked. Katy nodded and picked up her bag, handing the wad of cash over to Sarah. Sarah nodded and stuffed it into the pocket of her jacket before throwing it off. She looked up at Katy, her bright expression turned serious.
"But please, be more careful next time." She whispered, her hands resting gently on Katy's shoulders. Katy smiled and nodded. Sarah's face brightened up. She touched her little nose against Katy's, smiling sweetly.
"I don't understand why I still need to pay you." Katy whispered as she backed closer to the wall, Sarah pushing her gently.
"Because this is still my job. I need to eat something." She said with a giggle. Katy's back hit the cold wall. Sarah smiled as she pulled Katy's jacket off and threw it to the ground next to her own jacket. Sarah never stopped smiling. That was one of the things Katy loved about her. Sarah's lips tasted really sweet too, like cotton candy and cherries. They were really soft too, especially compared to Katy's. Sarah pushed Katy harder against the wall, her hands resting on Katy's hips. Katy's hands got tangled in Sarah's strawberry blonde hair, tugging gently and pulling Sarah closer. Sarah smiled, her teeth grazing Katy's eager lips. For some reason Katy had thought she would be the more dominant of the two, but she was quickly proved wrong. The only reason why she had thought that was because Sarah was shorter, but she was a lot feistier and definitely a lot more experienced. Katy always melted under her touch. They didn't really go much further than kissing and touching though. Katy just wasn't ready. And Sarah didn't mind at all. When they were both panting when they sat down. Katy leaned her head against Sarah's, her dark red hair tangling with Sarah's strawberry blonde locks. Katy played with Sarah's tan fingers, bending them in weird ways. Sarah watched a small smile form on Katy's chapped lips. Their cheeks were red. Sarah's lips were slightly swollen from the heavy kisses. It was well into the night by then. The sun was nowhere to be found. The moon's light barely shone through the thick clouds. Sarah reached into Katy's bag and grabbed her water bottle, opening it and taking a small sip before turning to Katy. She poured the warm liquid slowly into Katy's mouth, making sure she didn't have too much. When they had both had enough the bottle was placed onto the floor next to their feet. They didn't speak. Katy was too focused on playing with Sarah's fingers, and Sarah was too focused on Katy. She nuzzled Katy's curly hair gently making Katy chuckle. That was all she wanted to hear. Sarah's hands were soft. Her fingers were long and thin, not too thin though. You could see the bones, but they weren't bony. Katy's hands were pretty stubby. Her fingers were short and chubby and the skin was dry. Sarah grabbed Katy's hips all of a sudden, pulling her up to sit on Sarah's lap. Katy looked into her forest green eyes with a worried frown. Sarah smiled back at her. She brushed a stray strand of hair from Katy's face, letting her fingers stroke the dry skin on her cheeks. Her freckles were so cute, scattered all over her cheeks and nose, a few reaching up to her forehead. Her bright blue eyes stared into Sarah's green ones. She remembered how much darker they were when they first met. She remembered how dark and foggy they turned when they were kissing. She remembered how the tears had spilled out of them once. But now they were bright. They weren't ocean blue though. It looked more like a mountain in the distance. A beautiful, dark but still bright blue.
"What?" Katy finally asked. Sarah shook her head, smiling up at Katy.
"You're pretty." She hummed. Katy's cheeks turned a deep crimson and her eyes grew wider. Sarah loved the way she reacted. She was always so embarrassed. So innocent. But still not. Nothing was innocent. Katy leaned forward, her lips brushing gently against Sarah's before she kissed her. She kissed her gently, slowly. It was different from the heated kisses they had shared earlier.
"You're pretty too." Katy whispered, smiling down at the frowning Sarah.
"I'm not pretty, I'm badass!" She said in a hard tone. Katy chuckled and shook her head.
"You're adorable." Sarah shook her head, lifting herself up so she was face to face with Katy.
"I'm fierce." She stated, glaring into Katy's eyes. But Katy nodded, cupping her red cheeks gently and staring into her green eyes. Her face had grown stern, startling Sarah.
"You are fierce. You're a fighter." She said, her usually weak voice strong and sure. Sarah smiled and nodded.
"And I'll never stop fighting." She whispered. Katy nodded and smiled, planting a gentle kiss on Sarah's lips. Their kisses were never chaste kisses. They wished they could have easy, quick kisses like that, but it wasn't an option. They had to savor every moment they had together. And it felt so real. Even though Katy was still paying her. They sat like that for a while, staring into each other's eyes. But then they had to leave. Katy decided to go first. They were going to meet again a week later. Sarah would tell Katy the location in a few days. They kissed once more before Katy left. She walked down the same street she had before, all the way to her house, undisturbed. The tried to ignore the American flags hanging all around. The stupid posters stuck to the walls. It made chills run down her spine. She climbed into her room through her broken window. The wooden floors creaked under her feet as she got into bed, tugging the covers up to her chin after changing into her pjs. Sarah stayed in her head as she always did. And Katy stayed in Sarah's head, as she always did. The week went on as usual after that. Katy's class visited The Wall on Monday. She had a math test on Tuesday. Her parents fought on Wednesday. Sarah slipped her a note with the next location on it when they crossed paths on the street. Katy burned the paper fifteen minutes after she got it. Her family got a new supply of water on Thursday. The drought had gotten worse. It got colder. Katy had a shift in the lobby of one of the towers on Friday. Her dad had gotten her the job a few months before. She hated every second of it. Saturday wasn't too bad. Her brother came back from the war for half the day before returning. Her mother cried. Her father didn't flinch. And she met Sarah on Sunday. It was quite a normal day. She had breakfast, went to work for a few hours, had dinner and went to meet Sarah when her parents had fallen asleep. The location was an abandoned diner a few blocks away from Katy's house. Nobody ever went there. They said it was cursed. They said that they had rounded up the gays and shot them there a few years back. The ones that didn't want to go to conversion therapy. Neither of the two believed it was cursed though. And either way Katy liked horror so it was quite fun for her anyway. Except, she didn't like that kind of horror. They had been snuggled up, sitting at one of the booths when it had happened. The doors were kicked open. Military men barged in. Katy was pulled to her feet and kicked to the ground. Her beautiful red hair was pulled hard. A gun was aimed at her head. Sarah was crying and screaming for them to let her go. They didn't dare touch her though. Her father was too rich for that. They didn't mind touching Katy. She was just a poor bitch with no future and a sick mind. She was tainting Sarah's innocence. Sarah was strong though. She kicked them off her and ran over to Katy. The men didn't bother trying to hurt her, instead pulling Katy's hair harder. Sarah was crying her eyes out. She cupped Katy's bleeding and bruised cheeks. Katy melted under her touch.
"You are fierce. You're a fighter." She managed to cough out, smiling encouragingly at Sarah. Sarah sniffled and grinned, nodding bravely.
"And I'll never stop fighting." She said, her voice raw and shaky. They pulled her away then. Said the didn't want to get blood on her. She watched the life drain out of Katy's pretty, blue eyes. The blue of a mountain in the distance.

I felt I needed to write this. I had to get it out of my system so I can continue to write something I really like. If you would like something more happy you can check out my new story, Make a wish. It's really nice, I love it a lot. Okay, goodbye guys! And stay safe, okay? And if you need anything, I'm here.