Time

It's weird, isn't it? How time works. One day it's New Years eve 2007 and you're standing in a cramped living room with a few of your friends and a bunch of people you kinda recognize but don't really know and there's that one girl you've been flirting with all night and your friends are pushing you towards her and telling you to kiss her as the countdown starts and you're nervous and shaking slightly because you're shy but excited and then a guy steps in the way and he looks really cute and your friends are still trying to lead you to the girl but the countdown is over so you just go for it without thinking. And it's really awkward at first and you're both hesitating and nervous but then it just happens and then it keeps happening until it stops but you don't want it to stop so you pull him back and this time neither of you hesitate. And then eventually you break apart again and you see the girl you were flirting with looking at you with a hint of disgust but you're used to it. And you ask the guy for his phone number because your friends are nagging about going to a better party but really it's the groups code for "let's go home and watch movies until we fall asleep". And he says yes and you exchange phone numbers and you're the happiest person at the party (in your opinion). And then time passes. And then it's the middle of January which is totally out of the blue because 2007 just ended and now it's 2008 and that's insane. But you've been texting the guy at the party for a while and he's pretty nice though his personality isn't as good as his kissing but you don't really get chances like that (and by chances I mean dates) so you plan to meet up next week. And you wait excitedly for the day to come when you get to meet him again and then it does. He picks you up at your apartment and your roommates wish you good luck secretly before you leave and then you go to a cafe aaaaand it sucks. Turns out you don't really have much in common, but you agree to a second date anyway. And a third. And a fourth. Then there's a mistake that's made, a fifth date and then it's over because he turns out to be a total dick. And then even more time passed. You stay alone, thinking you need some time alone to think about you but really you're lonelier than you've ever been because one of your roommates, the one you were closest to, moved out to live with his husband. Everything seems gloomy now, dark and sad and empty, but you keep going. And time passes. And you feel better. And after months of your friends pestering you because "you aren't getting any younger" you agree to go out on a date. The people are bad at first, maybe they had an easier time convincing the bad ones to go out with you than with the good ones. But you push through and eventually you meet her. She's really nice, you have a lot in common and she's real pretty too. And time passes again, but this time you're not alone. And it's nice. But then things start going south, like usual. It takes a few months of fights and tension and pain and loneliness until it just ends. And then time passes. And you're on your own again. I'm not saying life is not about anything else but dating and love, but for you it is. Because you're lonely, and it's a gap that none of your friends can fill. So time keeps passing, and now it's 2009. We missed a New Year, but you were sick so it wasn't very exciting. And yet again time passes, more than before, and 2009 turns out to be a rather uneventful year. So now it's 2010, and you're growing lonelier by the minute. There are only two people left in your house, you and one other, so you consider moving into a flat instead since you're struggling to pay for the house. And then more time passes and one day you find yourself at the beach, not doing anything particularly interesting really, just walking the little pupper you got a few months before. He's a Great Dane pupper, a big fellow with grey fur and a white tummy. And of course you name him Milo cause it's an adorable name (fight me it is). And then all of a sudden you literally bump into an old friend of yours, you haven't seen him in years, but he used to be your best friend. He used to say he was going to marry a nice person and they were going to live in a cute house with no kids but a bunch of dogs, preferably big ones. Time passed, and that dream came true, even for you, even though it wasn't your dream at first. Time kept passing, Milo grew bigger and bigger and so did Cooper and Lulu and Mouse, and Juuzou moves in with you and time feels like it's slowing down because finally, after all this time, you didn't will time to go faster because you wanted it to be over. Instead you wait patiently with Juuzou and all the dogs, and time passes, but it doesn't matter. Time is a funny thing, isn't it? It can go by so fast or so slow, when you want it to slow down it speeds up and when you want it to speed up it slows to a crawl. One day you're at a New Years Eve party and the next you're sitting on the porch swing of your house with your husband and your dogs and a bunch of candy because you can and everything just feels so, oh so perfect.