HD ~ Chapter Seven

So here's the thing.

I've actually been writing the False Mate during school when I'm bored. (Might explain why I'm doing so horrible in Calculus, but I whatever.) The only thing is, it's written like words in ink on paper. I'll keep writing it and when I think I have enough, I'll start typing it to upload a new chapter. God only know when that will happen, though.

Anyway, I love the new "stats" thing they put in with stories. It's very interesting to see how well or how poorly a work of your own is doing.

Alright, so that's my rant for the day. Let's get on with the story, shall we?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Clarity

"What do you mean, there aren't any scents of them on our land?" I snapped at the guard in front of me who seemed to be wracking with nerves and floundering for words. "That's not possible. They took her and it's not like the could fly, right?"

It's been two days since Felicity's been missing and after two extensive territory sweeps, a pack-wide lockdown, and an alert sent out to every pack in the country, we still had no idea where she was. I was getting more and more worried as each minute passed by. My stress levels were peaking and my mood has been shifting from melancholy to hostile for the past twenty-four hours.

The guard cleared his throat and tried to steady his posture as I could see him shaking in his boots. "Alpha, I mean no disrespect, but I can assure you that our land was swept clean. We didn't find any sign of a rogue on our lands. There was only one fresh trail we found that was less than a day old and it was your daughter's."

I narrowed my eyes at him. "What are you trying to say, Mr. Clarke?" I asked him in a quiet, but deadly voice.

He swallowed hard and began talking slowly. "We think that she ran away, Alpha," he said, his eyes going anywhere but to mine.

"Get out of my sight!" I growled at him, not able to take anymore of this nonsense. I watched him scurry out of the room without another moment's hesitation.

Felicity would never run away. She was too timid and apprehensive to run away. Not to mention the fact that she'd never be able to survive out their on her own. She couldn't find, hunt, and didn't have the greatest people skills. If an attacker came after her, she'd never be able to fight him off and she'd only be able to run from him for so long before he caught her.

My mind was reeling. As hard as it has been in the past few years for Felicity and I to get along, she was my daughter and I didn't want anything to happen to her. I loved her as much as a mother could love her daughter. Granted, I didn't always show it in the best way. It has just become harder and harder for me to understand her, I guess. I can feel her drifting away from me and I don't know how to get her back.

I was still mulling this over when two more people entered my office. At first I didn't pay them any attention, I just walked towards my window as if I would be able to find Felicity, six years old again, playing with Alex in the yard. My attention was brought back to reality when my husband spoke up.

"Clarity?" he asked softly. I turned to face him and my mother. I nodded for them to continue. "Your mother told me something that I think you should hear."

"I'm listening."

My mother frowned at me. "Clarity," she chided me as if I was five years old. "I understand that you are upset and want nothing more than to get your daughter home safely, but you have to be patient and calm. And don't be rude to me or some of your guards," she added as an afterthought.

Yet, I hadn't paid attention to her last words. My mother told me to be "patient." Patience wasn't something anyone would be able to afford in a situation like this. You had to work fast when a child was missing. There were too many dangers in the world to take time.