Chapter Nine: My girl

BOBBY

I was doing the kitchen work as Julian was serving and taking orders. He didn't let me out of the kitchen after taking Trent's order-which is a little bizarre. I can handle him anyways or do I?

As the clock turned 11 in the evening I went out of the kitchen and Julian was cleaning tables.

"Need help?" I asked him as I took out a rag cloth and the water sprayer.

"It's fine, I can do it." He said.

"I'm gonna help you anyway." I said and cleaned the other tables.

It was silent again.

"You didn't have to switch with me earlier." I said and he stopped wiping the table.

"I know."

"Then why did you switch places with me?" I asked.

"You looked uncomfortable, I had to switch places with you and..." He said.

"And what?"

"It made me uncomfortable seeing him touching you and talking to you." He said.

"Why?" I asked.

He opened his mouth to say something but closed it and said "You ask too many questions."

"Just curious." I said.

"You are so naive." He said.

"About what?" I asked.

"Nevermind, you won't understand." He said. "Not yet." He mumbles.

"For your information, I am perfectly capable of understanding. Thank you very much." I said furious.

It was one thing to confuse me but it was another to make me feel that I am incapable of understanding situations when I know and believe in myself that I can. What does he think I have? A pea sized brain?

"It's complicated, Barbara. We'll talk about this another time."

I rolled my eyes and cleaned the remaining tables and swept the floor.

The clock struck 12, Manny and Alice walked in arm in arm and drinking a venti sized cup of coffee from Starbucks.

I got the receipts and the money in the cash register and went to the office. Julian followed behind me, I brought out my pad paper.

"I think it would be easier if I count the money and you count the total of the receipts." He said.

I sat down on the floor, computed all the receipts within 10 minutes. Which was a lot by the way, it was a hundred and forty receipts-

I wrote down the total on my pad paper and gathered all the receipts and put them in the large manila paper envelope.

Afterwards he compared the amount of the cash and the total of the receipts it matched and afterwards he gave me my pay for today. I got my bag from my locker in the employees room.

When I went out, "Halloween is near! What will you go as?" Manny asked me.

"I don't know." I said. "What's your costume gonna be?"

"A slutty police officer." He said waggling his eyebrows, I chuckled. "Please be a slutty nurse."

I shook my head violently, "Nope."

"C'mon! Maybe Ian can be your hot doctor." He said then changed his voice to a high pitched, "Doctor, spank me-"

"La la la la." I said covering my ears. Alice was slaughing her butt off. I walked near the door, "I'm taking off." I said.