Infection

(As a thank you for you guys being patient for the next chapter, here's a pic of Nara!😄)

Upon leaving the village, the paladins gathered by where they had left the lions.

"Pidge, can you bring a specimen back up to the castle, we can analyze it's properties and maybe even synthesize an antidote." Allura stated over the coms.

"On it." Pidge replied.

While the green paladin went to work, the others came up with a plan.

"Alright, the five of us will go to the facility and figure out what's draining into the water while Pidge, Allura, and Coran make the antidote, any questions?"

"Yea, what do we do if we run into alien zombies?!" Lance exclaimed, striking a zombie pose.

Shiro gave an exasperated sigh.

"They aren't alien zombies, they're villagers, we won't use force unless absolutely neccessary."

"Does it count as neccessary if one tries to bite my face off?" Lance muttured in reply.

Keith punched his shoulder, getting an annoyed grunt from the blue paladin.

"Guys I have the sample, and I'm heading back to the castle." Pidge radioed while heading back to the castle.

"Alright, lets head to the plant then, everyone to their lions." Shiro commanded.

One by one the lions followed after their leader's takeoff, the green lion breaking off to where the castle floated above the atmosphere.

. . . . . . . . . . . .

Allura peered into a glass case in which the purple liquid was suspended. Chemical equations flowed down a holographic chart at her side, which Coran was keeping track of. Pidge stood behind them, peering over their shoulders curiously.

"Well, can you tell what it is?"

Allura turned to her.

"It's strange, but the properties resemble that of liquified quintessence...."

"Why is that strange?" The green paladin asked, raising an eyebrow.

Coran answered this time.

"Because quintessence is extremely rare in this form. Considering it is the essence of a planet, quintessence in this form is very hard to mine... And quite the crime to do so."

"Why a crime?"

A somber look crossed the man's face.

"Because extracting liquified quintessence is like draining a planet's life force, it's almost the same case as the balmera but not in crystalized form."

Allura squinted at the holographic chart again.

"Something is wrong with this quintessence, it's almost like its been contaminated with something... Dark..."

"Makes sense considering the Galra are involved right?" Pidge pointed out.

"Yes, which would mean Keith's claim that the Galrans are extracting quintessence and turning it into this form from other worlds is correct, explaining their military prowess." Coran muttured out loud.

Pidge furrowed her brow.

"So can we synthesize an antidote?"

Allura shook her head.

"There is powerful magic at work here, unless we find a way to counter the effects, which we most likely can't, there is nothing we can do."

"What about on the balmera, you gave it's pure energy back, is there a way we could do that here?" Pidge questioned optimistically.