Chapter 21

Dan glances from where he has come and checks the mare's pulse. He diverts his gaze to his phone when the rumble of a trailer brings his it up. The pickup comes to teeth jarring stop and the drivers door is slung open. His heart shatters when he sees the silent tears streaming down Tylee's face.

"She'll be alright we just need to get her to the barn," he assures her.

"Should- should I get the vet on his way?" She stammers.

He glances up, "Yeah, that would be good." He knew the mare wasn't colicking and he had a pretty good idea what needed to happen.

Once she was standing he considers putting her in the trailer from a different angle, "I'll just lead her back to the barn. We don't want her falling in the trailer."

Tylee nods and holds the lead rope while he mounts. Then handing it to him with a shaky hand she steps back. She watches as he slowly leads her mare towards the barn. The straggling steps Wind takes tears at her heart. She should have paid more attention to her and maybe she wouldn't be in this bad of shape.

"Come on Cus." Brandon's voice brings her from the thoughts that cloud her mind. He guides her to the pickup before getting in the drivers side.

Tearfully she steps into the barn observing the sight at hand. Dan was bent over Willow Wind's front right hoof the hoof pick in hand.

"She has a cut in her hoof and is dehydrated, but I think otherwise she'll be okay," he announces patting the mare's neck.

Tylee breathes as sigh of relief and smiles. Willow Wind is one of the last connections she has to Papaw, that's something she isn't willing to lose, not yet. "Thank you," she whispers throwing her arms around his neck.

"You're very welcome, Fawn." He hugs her back tight and kisses her cheek. "You go in the house and fix lunch, I'll finish up here and be in in a minute."

She wipes her tears and slowly nods. As she exits the big barn she whistles to Daisy and pushes her hat farther on her head to keep from the wind blowing it away. Forcing her tears to stop as she enters the house and drops her Carhartt jacket to the floor she cracks the smallest smile. Smiling can fix almost anything and she doesn't want the food having hot salty tears mixed in.

Dan sighs and glances in Brandon's direction and rubs the back of his neck, "Brandon, uh, um never mind." He shakes off his worries and grabs the syringe to drench Willow Wind. He sucks water into it and carefully pushes out the air. Then gripping the halter rope tightly he inserts the syringe into the mare's mouth and gradually push the liquid down her throat. After a couple more times he pat her neck and gives Willow Wind hay before heading to the house.

He enters the house and sheds his coat and black felt hat. Stepping the kitchen he can't help, but smile at the delicious aromas that fill the air. "It smells like wonderland in here," he comments.

Tylee turns and smiles, wrapping her floury hands around the back of his neck she rests her head on his shoulder, "I am sorry for being harsh," she whispers.

"I'm sorry too, I shouldn't have pushed you away, my Fawn." His hands mover from her hips to resting in her back pockets. Their lips meet in a gentle kiss just as the back door clunks closed and a throat is cleared.

"Still here guys," Brandon announces hiding his smirk. Tylee blushes and moves back to the stove removing the pan from the oven. Dan glances at Brandon and catches the smirk before it rapidly disappears. He shrugs and grabs three metal plates from the cabinet. Brandon grabs forks from the drawer and follows Dan to the dining room table. "So you were going to tell me something?"

Dan glances at him and his palms start to get sweaty, "Yeah, but it's no big deal."

"No big deal, huh? So you can just spill it then?" Brandon presses enjoying the nervousness radiating from his cousin's boyfriend.

"Uh, yeah just not here and now, later," Dan urges as Tylee walks in carrying the dish. "Anything else?"

She nods, "Serving spoon on the counter."

He nods and hurries to the kitchen taking a deep breath he grabs the spoon and waltz back into the dining room. Taking his seat next to Tylee he hands her the spoon returning her small smile. Brandon prays before she dishes out the food and table falls flat of conversation. The clanking of forks against plates and the soft sound of chewing fills the air with a peaceful feeling.

"So, um, I think that I am going to head out tomorrow," Brandon announces.

"Where are you going?" Tylee asks him concerned. "You know you can stay here."

He nods and wears a small smile, "I know, it's just, I haven't been home. I came straight here from the air port. Mom and dad don't know I'm in."

She drops her fork and stares at him, "Why?"

"I don't know, I just had to check up on you. I wanted to surprise everyone so I didn't tell."

"You could have left this morning and gone to see them," she protests.

He raises his eyebrows, "Yes and leave you in an emotional mess? I don't think so, besides I couldn't leave without grilling the new boyfriend."

She cracks a small smile, "Okay, but first thing tomorrow. You know that your mom isn't fond of me anyway, but she really isn't going to be happy when she's finds out you have been here without seeing her first."

"I know, but I'll handle mom," he tells her before stuffing his mouth full of food. "This is really good by the way."

"Thank you," she mutters with a small smile. Her gaze turns to Dan and she gives him a quizzical look. He smiles at her reassuringly and takes another bite.

When everyone is finished Brandon convinces Tylee to clean up in the house and then she could come see Willow Wind after they were done drenching her. Dan has a major case of nerves walking out to the barn, "Hey Brandon?"

"Yeah?"

"I know, uh, that we just met and everything, but um," Dan stumbles over his words. "Um do I have your permission to ask Tylee to marry me?"