Chapter 26

"Fawn! I'm going to saddle the horses," Dan calls up the stairs.

Tylee smiles as she steps down the stairs and into his view, "Great, me too."

He chuckles and takes her hand. In the utility room he places her hat on her head before doing the same with his. Then he takes her jacket and holds it while she slips her arms in. He checks his pocket for the ring before shrugging on his own jacket. Kissing her cheek and taking her hand he tries desperately to calm the raging nerves inside of him.

Tylee catches Pigeon and throws Willow Wind a piece of hay before continuing into the barn. She smiles as Dan leads Chopper up beside her. He hands her the lead rope and enters the tack room to fetch Tylee's saddle and blankets. He saddles Pigeon while Tylee scolds him, silently.

"Yes, My Fawn?"

She shakes her head as he comes back out of the tack room with his own, much heavier saddle, "Nothing, Teddy Bear."

When both horses are saddled and ready to go they lead them out into the dusk light evening to mount. Dan watches Tylee get on before following suit with a smile and jerk of his head south, indicating the direction they are going. She crinkles her eyebrows together, but he only smiles and leans over to peck her lips. He sure is being a mystery.

The ride is peaceful as they follow the cattle trail. Her heartbeat picks up and she feels happy tears welling up in her eyes as she takes in the sight before them. Lanterns hang on branches of the tree Papaw's message on and a old wooden bench sits underneath the tree. On either side of the bench are small blanket covered baskets, "You did this?" She whispers tearing her gaze away from the beautiful sight to gaze at Dan.

"Sure, I can do a little bit of decorating," he jokes stepping from his saddle.

She chuckles and steps from her saddle as well. He take her hand and leads her towards the bench dropping the horse's reins around a near by fence post. Should I ask her first or show her what is under the blankets? He mentally shrugs his shoulders and turns away from her briefly.

Then getting on one knee he pulls the ring out and looks up into her eyes, "Tylee Jackson, will you make me the happiest ranch hand in the world and marry me?"

She sucks in a breath as silent tears rolls down her cheeks, "Yes," she whispers barely audible to his ears.

His smile spreads across his face as wide as it will go as he slides the ring onto her finger. Standing he wraps his arms around her and places his lips on hers. Tylee's gaze moves to the ring and rests there.

"It was your Granna's. Bill gave it to me he said when they moved here he traded Papaw a stud for that."

She glances up at him, "That was Wind's grandfather. Papaw told me about that horse, his name was Lightening. I didn't know he traded Granna's ring though."

"Apparently she told Bill that it was too fancy for her," Dan says with a small chuckle.

Tylee laughs, "She told me she was afraid she would lose it or get it dirty."

After a brief make out session they pull apart breathless and smiling.

"Now which basket do you want to open first?" Dan asks smiling with a hint of mischief resting in that smile.

She smiles and shrugs, "Which one should we open first?"

He smiles at her words, but before he can answer the basket closest to them topples over onto its side and an small whimper sounds from it. Tylee gasps and scurries to rip the top open a bright smile spreading across her face when she sees the little bundle that had flipped the basket over, "Teddy Bear, she's adorable!"

The little red heeler pup looked much like Daisy and has a little blue ribbon around her neck. Dan smiles and kisses Tylee's cheek, "I thought Daisy could use a companion since Jake isn't very social."

She wraps her arms around his neck and hugs him tight, "You are the best, Teddy Bear."

"You haven't seen what is in the other one yet, My Fawn," he whispers. He grabs the other, much bigger, basket and holds it out to her. She smiles and takes it from him, but only after setting the new little puppy in his lap. She slowly opens the wooden lids and peeks in at the contents. Her eyes land on a small roll of packing tape, a new pair of boots and a package of grass seed. She glances up at him her eyebrows knitted together and her head is cocked to one side.

He smiles and shrugs, "I thought that we could use the grass to make hay bales for our family to sit on."

"And the tape?"

A chuckle escapes his lips, "I don't know, I guess it is just the traditional thing you use to move."

She laughs and wraps him in a hug, "I love you, Teddy Bear."

"I love you too, My Fawn," He whispers before kissing her cheek. The puppy squirms in Dan's arms and yaps.

They laugh and Tylee scoops the little red heeler into her arms, "You not getting enough attention?" The pup squirms again, but this time to reach Tylee's face with her tongue.

"What are we naming this little girl?" Dan asks smiling.

She thinks about it a minute before nodding, "Blossom."

"You like that? Blossom fits you, huh?" Blossom yaps her tongue hanging out of her tongue in a laughing manner. They laugh and scratch behind her ears. Dan places the baskets on the stool before taking Tylee's hand and leading her towards the horses, "We will come back in the pickup and get that stuff."

She smiles and hands him Blossom so that she can mount Pigeon. He hands the pup back once Tylee is in her saddle with the reins in her hands. Then he gets on his own horse and smiles at her. They ride off towards the house and Tylee whistles for Daisy. The border collie comes from underneath the near by fence and follows them home happy as ever.

When they get within view of the house and barn Tylee notices Becca's car in the drive way. Dan too notices it and laughs, "I guess she couldn't stand the thought."

Tylee smiles, "I now know why she called me to try on rings."

"Did you then?"

She shakes her head, "I knew that it wasn't because she needed another opinion, but I didn't know why."

He smiles and they continue past Becca's car and to the barn where Dan dismounts first. He then takes Blossom from her while she gets off and loosens Pigeons cinch. Becca walks up smiling brightly her excitement not the least bit masked.

"I'm so excited! Congrats," she shrieks throwing her arms around both of them and pulling them into a tight hug.
***

That night, curled up in her queen size bed with a dog on each side of her, Tylee lays awake thinking about things to come and smiling uncontrollably.

"Are you going to be a jealous dog when your side of the bed isn't empty anymore?" She asks Daisy with a slight chuckle.

Author's Note

Hey guys! Thanks so much for coming with Tylee, Dan and I on this journey. Sadly it is coming to an end, but I will have the epilogue out in just a little bit.

I honestly am really sad to see these characters go, but also very happy for them. (Weird I know)

Be sure to let me know your thoughts and if you want a book to follow them farther in life.