Chapter Fourteen

HARRY // JULY 2020
Seventeen Weeks

It's been a little over a week since they found out they were expecting a boy and a girl. It was Saturday, Harry was planning on painting the nursery. They had decided quickly, whether if they were having boys, girls, or both that the nursery was going to be a soft grey color. They were inspired by a picture off the internet and were making it their own.

They didn't want to do anything wild, like Harry had done with Olivia's nursery. He had spent so much time painting and they ended up repainting the walls about two years later.

The crown-molding they picked out was a stark white compared to the grey walls. It was going to be perfect. Louis walked into the nursery as Harry got the paint cans set up. He was a lot rounder this week, making him look darling and glowing.

"I'm going to Olivia to the park with Jesy, Zayn, and the kids," he said, his hands placed on his hips. Harry was having him leave the house while he painted. It was non-toxic paint, yes, but they had a curious three year old daughter.

"Mm, okay. Have fun," Harry said, walking over and pressing a big sloppy kiss.

"Can't wait to see how the room turns out," Louis said, after pulling from the kiss. He started to walk out of the room and he called back, "Love you."

"I love you more," called Harry.

He begun painting then, music blaring in the background. It was kind of relaxing. Harry loved painting as a teenager, on top of songwriting, as a way to escape his issues with his father and stepdad. He finished the first coat of the wall and decided to grab a beer from the fridge. He had paused the music and headed into the kitchen when Harry heard a knocking at the front door.

He popped the top off then headed over. He threw the door open and it was Desmond, his father. He looked older, a lot older. He had an armful of gifts in his arms and a hopeful smile. Anger pulsated through Harry's veins.

"What are you doing here?" demanded Harry.

Desmond looked over his son, looking intently at his face than looked down at Harry's paint-stained gym shorts and t-shirt. In a thick tone, he answered, "I'm sorry for missing the last few weekends. Work really did come up and I wanted to see you and meet Olivia. As well as Gemma and her baby."

"Well, you're a little late, Desmond."

"I'd rather be late then never have tried," he replied. "Can I come in? To place the gifts down."

Let go, Harry chastised himself, let go of the anger. He nodded and stepped aside. Desmond entered his home, something he thought would never happen.

"Is Olivia here? Or your fiancé?" Desmond asked as Harry walked him into the great room.

"No."

"Where are they? I'd like to meet them."

"I'm, uh... I'm painting a nursery and I didn't want Olivia to interrupt. He met, uh, up with some friends of ours." Harry couldn't remember the last time he was this open with his father.

"I heard you guys were expecting again from Louis. Congratulations," Desmond said with a smile.

"Uh, thanks."

"What are you guys having?"

"A boy and a girl," Harry answered.

Desmond looked around the great room, probably taking in the grand kitchen and spacious living room. He nodded and looked over at his son, saying softly, "You look great, your place looks great... In my head, you were always a fifteen year-old boy. Seeing you now, almost fourteen years later, I'm a little surprised. You're a man now, a father now. I'm sure I'll feel the same way when I see Gemma again."