Cynical Laugh

Rey's POV
I laid curled on the floor clutching the phone Han handed me. I shake wildly as I try to dial.

9-1-1.

"911 what's your emergency?" A woman voice says.

"My name is Rey, I'm a waitress at Han's Shoot First Pizza and Bar. I believe there's an active shooter here." I say quickly.

"Okay Rey. Stay calm. Have you seen or heard a gun?"

"Yes."

"Okay, we're dispatching to you right now. Are you safe?"

"I'm hiding in the storage room in the back."

"Is the door locked?"

"No, it doesn't lock."

"Okay Rey, are you able to stay on the phone with me?"

"I'll try."

Beep. Beep. "Low battery." The phone announces.

"The phone's about to die." I tell her.

"Okay, remain calm. Stay hidden and quiet." She tells me. "Rey, can you..."

Of course the phone dies. The room darkens and I can still her some screaming and running. More gun shots as well.

I hear the sound of footsteps approaching.

I hold my breath and bite my lip.

The door opens, I see a tall man, he turns on the light and it's... Ben.

"In here.Go, go, go." He instructs.

"Rey." Finn sighs out in relief as he sees me hiding.

Him and Gwen help me out. Finn and I embrace.

"Where's Hux?" Ben asks, as he shuts the door.

"He was right behind me." Gwen says.

"Too late. We need to barricade the door." Finn tells them as he grabs a can of unopened jalapeños and other random pizza toppings and begins stacking them against the door.

I hand him some boxes as well and we get half the door covered.

We turn the light back off and sit down on the floor.

"We need weapons." Ben mumbles. He flips the light on and grabs a chair. "Move back. Cover your face."

Ben's POV
They all cover their faces and I raise the chair above my head and smash it down. The legs of the chair breaks off.

"Okay, you're good."

"What the hell." Finn says.

"Grab a chair leg." I reach down and grab one.

They all grab a leg and I turn the light off. I sit down next to Rey.

"Rey." I whisper. "Are you alright?"

"Physically yeah." Her voice shakes.

I drape my free arm around her shoulders. "We're going to get through this. I promise "

Her head eases and rests on me now.

Sirens blare in the distant and get louder quickly.

I hear someone running down the hallway, but slows.

"I know you're back here." It's the man who opened fire. "Come on out." I hear him walk past the door.

Doors begin to open and he contuines to talk.

"Come on out, I know you're here."

Rey's POV
A man's voice taunts looking for someone. I think Ben, I, or really anyone hiding back here.

I shake in fear and bite my lip. I take a deep breath and begin to calm myself.

"You're okay Rey, I've got you." Ben whispers.

"He comes in here and this chair leg is going through his torso." I whisper back.

"Come out with your hands up!" Is heard loud and clear from the police cars outside.

A cynical laugh is heard in almost reply. "Oh look what we have here."

"No! Let me go!" I hear Hux yell.

"No." I whisper and cover my mouth.

"We can't save him." Gwen whispers in an almost panic.

"He made his choice Gwen." He whispers back. "He should have stayed with us. it's his own fault."

"He can't die." I whisper to them.

Ben's arm around me tightens and his hand rubs my shoulder.

The man begins laughing and I hear Hux struggling and trying to persuade the shooter to let him go.

"I've got a victim!" He taunts the police outside.

Everything goes quiet. I can hear the rest of my friends breathing and my heart pounding.

A gun clicks...

A shot then rings throughout.