Just Insane

Flashes of light zoomed by the sub from every angle, some even collided with the back of it. The water around us rocked viciously. I gripped into the table with all my strength to keep from toppling over. "Jean! You have to go faster!" My ears popped due to pressure change but the shaking finally subsided. "I- I think we made it." I sighed as I sank into my seat.

   "That was exciting! Let's do it again!" Shira squealed in delight. Oh just shut up already. I looked over and Jean was smiling from ear to ear.

     "You're more psychotic than I am if you actually liked that." I joked.

     "Oh, no. That was terrible, but it sure beats rotting in a cell as a slave." he responded.

     "I guess that does make sense. Well, if you've got it I think I'm going to check for any damage to the sub." I pushed myself off the chair and walked out of the room. I walked the perimeter of the ship and found no external damage, but plenty of broken glass to go around. I groaned, this will take forever to cleanup. I grabbed a broom and pan and began sweeping.

     "Oh, you can NOT tell me that this is more fun than Kizaru chasing you." I ignored her voice and continued cleaning.  

     "Raven, are you alright?" Train walked into the room.

     "Just peachy." I told him while dumping shards of glass into a bag. "But enough about me, how are the patients?"

     "They are both stable but I'm not sure if Straw hat will be okay." Train told me while sitting down on the floor, seemingly exhausted. "It's hard to come back from a loss like that..." He trailed off and looked down absently at the floor.

     "Train, are you alright?" I asked while taking a step towards him. I'd never seen him act like that before. His eyes looked lifeless and his voice held no trace of emotion. Just as quickly as he entered that state he snapped back out of it.

     "Ya sorry. It's just. Have you ever watched someone you love be killed?" his eyes were sad, but I preferred that look to what he had just shown me.

     "Train, I grew up as a pirate, I've watched crew members die before." I stood next to him, debating on whether or not to sit. 

     "But did you really love any of them?" he looked me right in the eyes, trying to read my expression.

     "I've never loved anyone." I plopped down next to him and looked at the ceiling.

     "Not even your parents?" now he seemed shocked.

     "They never did anything to show love for me, so why should I return the favor?" 

     "Oh, now I know you are lying. What about that good-for-nothing uncle of ours?" Rage boiled in my gut. I couldn't stop the words from leaving my lips.

     "Shut the hell up! You never knew him like I did!" the moment my mouth shut I realized my mistake. I looked to Train who was already standing up and looking at me strangely. "Wait." I said, but didn't know how to explain myself without sounding insane. I held my hand out to him and he took a step back. "You think I'm crazy, don't you?" I asked in barely a whisper.

     "Raven, it's not like that-"

     "No, I'm not stupid. I'm sorry." I apologized before getting up and leaving the room. 

     "Well, that was awkward."