Chapter 3: No Choice

"KAT WAKE UP! WAKE UP!" I feel Abby's small hands shaking me with panic in her voice.

"What's wrong?" I say lifting up in a sitting position from my deep sleep.

"My hair... I was brushing it and.....and it's started falling out again." She started crying silently. She'd lost her hair about 3 years ago from her treatment but since then she hasn't needed chemotherapy so it grew back into a cute short bob.

She hadn't really care about it falling out then because she was only 5 years old. Hair just recently started meaning more to her.

"Abby look it'll be fine, the doctor said you won't lose it all this time it'll just shed and get thinner." I tried to convince her that there was a brighter side.

"But I won't be pretty anymore." She started sniffing.

"Who told you that nonsense? Abby your hair doesn't define your beauty, your strength and personality does. You know what mom would always tell me?"

"What?" She asked quietly but attentive.

"Beauty is not in the face,  beauty is a light in the heart, she would say that nothing is more beautiful then showing kindness no matter what the world around you says. Abby, the light in your heart shines brighter than anyone I've ever met, you're the most beautiful person I've ever met inside and out and don't forget, alright? "

"Okay" She smiled at me and jumped in my arms. I hugged her as tight as I could.

"I love you Abby."

"I love you too Kat." She giggled the words out as I tickled her.

After me and Abby's talk I made sure the Nanny had everything she needed to send Abby off to her private teacher. Now I have to get ready to go back to this dreadful place known as school. Dad didn't make me go to the new apartment yesterday.

I guess he actually took Abby up on that offer, although I could tell he wasn't to happy about it. Apparently, family could only pick up prescribed meds. So, after school I have to head over to the doctors office to pick it up.

I got up pretty early so that gives me time to find something to eat in the kitchen. I usually skip breakfast.... well a lot of meals because dad and Clarissa seem to always monitor the kitchen.

Last time I tried to get food when they were here they told me if I didn't buy it don't touch it. Dad can get aggressive when I do something that I know isn't okay with them.

He's never actually hit me before. He'll give me a push here and there but that doesn't mean he won't. Dad has always started off small with things. Like at first he'd only give me one full meal a day now it's none so who knows where the pushing thing will take me.

Sometimes I think it's good I'll be on my own. They only give me a few bucks a month for school lunch as if it'll last me. So I use it only when I can't take the hunger anymore and that currently leaves me with $0.
I quickly grab a bowl of cereal and eat it before I go shower and get ready for school.

As I walked to school my thoughts started wondering to Dr.Hunter and the fact that I think he saw how skinny my arms were. God I hope he didn't notice that it was from not eating. He seemed to stare longer than a person who hadn't notice would. I shouldn't have jumped back like I did.

Me and physical contact don't get along, nobody ever touches me or at least I make sure people don't. Dad stopped hugging me, Clarissa wouldn't even let it cross her mind to hug me so all that was left was Abby.

Abby's hugs are different it makes me feel like she's safe when she's in my arms. After all, mom did want me to promise her that I'd take care of her. When Dr.Hunter touched me it just caught me off guard.