Chapter 20: I Miss You

Lucy soon found it to be a bit weird that she hadn't talked to Natsu in a while. A month, specifically. Lucy wasn't counting, Natsu was, and his feelings were soon put to the test.

Though they both didn't make a big deal about it, their friends were quick to notice that they were ignoring each other. Lucy's friends thought it was a bit strange that Natsu had stopped sitting with Lucy at lunch. They had stopped talking in class, and no longer sat next to each other in the classes that they had with each other. Natsu's friends were a bit dense, so they didn't really notice anything, except for Gray and Jellal.

"What's wrong with your face?" Gajeel bluntly asked Natsu. He had a scowl on his face, as he spotted Lucy walking off school campus with Sting. Rumors sparked throughout the internet, that they were dating. Those rumors reached their high school, but they were completely oblivious to it.

"WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOURS?!" Natsu yelled and slammed his hands on the desk, attracting the attention of his class. He had been asked that question more than he could remember.

The teachers glared at him, though Natsu didn't really care. "Detention, Natsu. Today."

Natsu sighed and rested his head on his palm, continuing to stare out the window. "Whatever." He mumbled, it was better than going home anyways.

Gajeel looked at Gray with a questioning look. Gray shook his head and shrugged. His talks with Natsu did nothing, and only infuriated him, so there wasn't a lot he could do. Even so, Gray allowed it, he preferred Natsu taking his anger out on him, than Igneel taking his anger out on him. Natsu was his friend, all he wanted to do was help him, because that's how it had always been.

And so, Gray devised a plan to get the duo talking again, with the help of Juvia. After several seconds, Juvia was quick to instruct him with specific steps and details.

"Got it Gray?" Juvia grinned, "You better not screw this up!"

Gray nodded his head and saluted. "I better get food out of this." He mumbled.

xXx

"Natsu!" Gray jogged after Natsu, dramatically flinging his arms. They had finally finished soccer practice and were both drenched in sweat. Natsu slightly turned around to face him, with his eyebrows raised in a questioning look. "Do you want to go celebrate?"

Natsu scratched his neck, as he tried digging through his brain for what they could possibly be celebrating. "Celebrate what?"

Gray gasped, and fell back, "I'm a damsel in distress." Natsu quickly caught him, but as soon as he did, he pushed him back onto the floor. "YOU IDIOT!" Gray cried.

Natsu sighed, tired, "What are we actually celebrating?"

"That we're on varsity!" Gray pouted and smack Natsu's head, "You need to appreciate things more."

Natsu stared at Gray with his green eyes, impressed by his words. As far as he could remember, Gray had always been by his side, supporting him in everything. After all, he was the only one who knew that Natsu really went through at home with Igneel. "Let's go." Natsu gave in, with a serious face, but when Gray turned, he smiled.

xXx

"Why did it turn out like this?!" Natsu complained as he stared at the blue, squared popsicle in his hand, "Why are we celebrating outside a convenience store?!"

Gray took his time to savor each bite of his popsicle, "Because it was close by, obviously. I didn't feel like walking too far, who actually walks these days?"

"GRAY, you're an idiot!" Natsu stated the obvious, "And why did I have to pay?!" He referred to the box of popsicles in Gray's hands, who was selecting his favorite flavors.

Gray shrugged, "You're rich." He soon spotted Juvia arriving with Lucy,

"Hi guys." Juvia casually stopped. Lucy and Natsu both made eye contact, and felt awkward.

"Here Natsu hold this." Gray shoved the box into his arms, and ran off with Juvia, "We have to go to the store."

"Hey wait-," Natsu didn't have time to react, and was left there standing with Lucy, alone.

"Sorry Lucy!" Juvia shouted, "We'll see each other tomorrow though!"

Natsu wanted more than anything to run after Gray and attack, but at the same time didn't want to leave Lucy alone."GRAY, YOU GODDAMN LIAR!"

Lucy tried to politely smiled, and then realized it would be better if she left. She turned around to leave, but Natsu called her name. "D-Do you want one? I don't think I can finish all of these."

Natsu cringed at his own words. 'Why did I blurt that out?! I could finish these if I wanted to.'

Lucy glanced at the ice cream box, "W-well if you insist, I guess I have no choice but to take one..." She quickly grabbed a random one, and was about to sprint off, but Natsu grabbed her wrist.

Her skin was smooth and warm, ironically. "Wait. I wanna talk to you." Natsu firmly exclaimed, "But not here, so how about you come over?"

Lucy clenched her teeth, "What? What's wrong with you? You ignored me for so long, and now.-"

She pulled away from him, causing Natsu to drop the leftover popsicles on the ground, "Just please, don't." And with that she walked away, leaving Natsu confused and heartbroken.

All he wanted, was to talk to her. He missed her, he really did.

xXx

"Happy!" Lucy played with her frail cat in her lap, "Sometimes I think that you're the only one who likes Natsu."

Happy brought his arms out, a gesture that seemed like he wanted to hug Lucy, and so she did. "I wonder if you can understand me..."

Happy answered with a simple yawn and remained in her caressing arms, safely.